Guidelines for sustained growth in the EU? The concept and consequences of the Broad Economic Policy Guidelines
The Broad Economic Policy Guidelines contain the answers of the European Commission and the governments of the EU-member countries to the European growth and employment problems. These guidelines have been the major EU-economic policy concept for around ten years now. They can be seen as a synthesis of the economic policy regime dominating the EU since the early to mid 1990s. However, this concept has not been able to generate sustained growth and low unemployment in the EU as a whole. Examining the guidelines we show the weaknesses of the underlying economic policy model and outline an alternative concept which promises more growth and employment for Europe in the long run.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher Allsopp & Michael J. Artis, 2003. "The Assessment: EMU, Four Years On," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 1-29.
- Christopher Allsopp, 2002. "The Future of Macroeconomic Policy in the European Union," Discussion Papers 07, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- Dean Baker & Andrew Glyn & David Howell & John Schmitt, 2002.
"Labor Market Institutions and Unemployment: A Critical Assessment of the Cross-Country Evidence,"
SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization.
2002-17, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Andrew Glyn, 2003. "Labor Market Institutions and Unemployment: A Critical Assessment of the Cross-Country Evidence," Economics Series Working Papers 168, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Philip Arestis & Kevin McCauley & Malcolm Sawyer, 2000.
"An Alternative Stability Pact for the European Union,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_296, Levy Economics Institute.
- Arestis, Philip & McCauley, Kevin & Sawyer, Malcolm, 2001. "An Alternative Stability Pact for the European Union," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(1), pages 113-30, January.
- Philip Arestis & Kevin McCauley & Malcolm Sawyer, 2000. "An Alternative Stability Pact for the European Union," Macroeconomics 0004043, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:0508016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.