A look at exchange rate and monetary policy in Malawi
A LOOK AT EXCHANGE RATE AND MONETARY POLICY IN MALAWI* Prepared by K Simwaka Research & Statistics Department Reserve Bank of Malawi Abstract The paper assesses whether the exchange rate is affected by monetary policy and whether these effects are permanent or transitory. The paper takes the position that monetary policy is very crucial to exchange rate management. A real effective exchange rate model is estimated to generate real effective exchange rate misalignment. Causality tests are performed between several measures of monetary shocks (consistent with other empirical works) and the real effective exchange rate misalignment. The results show that excess money supply predict real effective exchange rate misalignment with no feedback effects. In the second stage, a model of nominal exchange rate is estimated. Since we find co-integration, the model is estimated with first difference of the non-stationary variables, level variables and the co-integrating vector. Results indicate that nominal exchange rate over the period is determined by real income growth, rate of inflation, money supply growth and real effective exchange rate misalignment. The adjustment speed from the error correction term is consistent with a market-determined exchange rate responding to excess money supply. Keywords: Exchange Rate; Monetary Policy; Integration * The findings, interpretation and conclusions expressed in this paper are entirely those of the author. They don’t necessarily represent the views of the Reserve Bank of Malawi.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994.
"Targeting the real exchange rate: Theory and evidence,"
13412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Reinhart, Carmen M. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1995. "Targeting the real exchange rate: theory and evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 97-133, June.
- Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont & Guillermo Calvo & Carmen Reinhart, 1994. "Targeting the Real Exchange Rate; Theory and Evidence," IMF Working Papers 94/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994. "Targeting the real exchange rate," MPRA Paper 13765, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 1994. "Exchange Rates in Search of Fundamental Variables," CEPR Discussion Papers 1073, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:0407017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.