Unemployment Outflow and Unemployment Insurance Taxes
The system of Unemployment Insurance (UI) financing in the US draws its funds from a payroll tax on employers and varies the tax rate according to the individual employer's layoff history. There exists extensive evidence on the effect of this so-called experience rated tax on layoff decisions. However, since firms are liable for each dollar of regular UI benefits paid to laid off former employees, experience rating may also affect recall behavior. The present study therefore measures the effect of the UI financing system on the duration of unemployment. Using duration data is essential since tax charges to the firm vary over the duration of unemployment spells. Empirical results based on data with various sources of variation suggest that higher layoff tax costs shorten the duration of recall unemployment.
|Date of creation:||19 Feb 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; pages: 23 ; figures: Included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Baker & Samuel A. Rea, Jr., 1994.
"Employment Spells and Unemployment Insurance Eligibility Requirements,"
reas-95-02, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Michael Baker & Samuel A. Rea, 1998. "Employment Spells And Unemployment Insurance Eligibility Requirements," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(1), pages 80-94, February.
- Michael Baker & Rea Samuel A. Rea, 1995. "Employment Spells and Unemployment Insurance Eligibility Requirements," Labor and Demography 9505001, EconWPA.
- Fallick, Bruce Chelimsky, 1991.
"Unemployment Insurance and the Rate of Re-employment of Displaced Workers,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 228-35, May.
- Bruce K. Fallick, 1989. "Unemployment Insurance and the Rate of Re-Employment of Displaced Workers," UCLA Economics Working Papers 550, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 1982. "Job Search and the Duration of Layoff Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(4), pages 595-612.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Micklewright, John, 1991. "Unemployment Compensation and Labor Market Transitions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1679-1727, December.
- Å tÄ›pÃ¡n Jurajda & Frederick J. Tannery, 2003.
"Unemployment Durations and Extended Unemployment Benefits in Local Labor Markets,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 56(2), pages 324-348, January.
- Stepan Jurajda & Frederick J. Tannery, 2001. "Unemployment Durations and Extended Unemployment Benefits in Local Labor Markets," Labor and Demography 0012006, EconWPA.
- Guido Imbens & Lisa Lynch, 2006.
"Re-employment probabilities over the business cycle,"
Portuguese Economic Journal,
Springer;Instituto Superior de Economia e Gestao, vol. 5(2), pages 111-134, August.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Lynch, Lisa M., 2006. "Re-Employment Probabilities over the Business Cycle," IZA Discussion Papers 2167, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guido W. Imbens & Lisa M. Lynch, 1993. "Re-Employment Probabilities over the Business Cycle," NBER Working Papers 4585, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baily, Martin Neil, 1977. "On the Theory of Layoffs and Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(5), pages 1043-63, July.
- Ham, John C & Rea, Samuel A, Jr, 1987. "Unemployment Insurance and Male Unemployment Duration in Canada," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(3), pages 325-53, July.
- Card, David & Levine, Phillip B., 1994.
"Unemployment insurance taxes and the cyclical and seasonal properties of unemployment,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-29, January.
- David Card & Phillip B. Levine, 1992. "Unemployment Insurance Taxes and the Cyclical and Seasonal Properties of Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 4030, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christofides, Louis N & McKenna, C J, 1996. "Unemployment Insurance and Job Duration in Canada," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(2), pages 286-312, April.
- Stepan Jurajda, 2001. "In ow into Unemployment: Employment Spells and Unemployment Insurance," Labor and Demography 0012008, EconWPA.
- Topel, Robert H, 1983. "On Layoffs and Unemployment Insurance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 541-59, September.
- Azariadis, Costas, 1975. "Implicit Contracts and Underemployment Equilibria," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(6), pages 1183-1202, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpla:0012005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.