College Characteristics and the Wages of Young Women
Using the rich data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth, we show that several dimensions of college quality have positive impacts on young women's wages. We find evidence of ability sorting, but controlling for ability, women who attend higher quality colleges earn higher wages. Women receive smaller gains from college quality than do men; black women receive greater gains from college quality than do white women. Controlling for quality, women who attend private colleges earn more than those who attend public colleges, and women earn lower wages, the higher the proportion of their college's students were women. A significant part of the return to college quality appears to arise from a greater likelihood of working in high-wage occupations and industries.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 1996|
|Note:||Type of Document - Binary Word for Windows Document; prepared on IBM PC compatible; to print on HP LaserJet III (PCL); pages: 85 ; figures: Tables included at end.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-1294, September.
- repec:uwp:jhriss:v:8:y:1973:i:3:p:306-317 is not listed on IDEAS
- Loury, Linda Datcher & Garman, David, 1995. "College Selectivity and Earnings," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(2), pages 289-308, April.
- Behrman, Jere R & Rosenzweig, Mark R & Taubman, Paul, 1996. "College Choice and Wages: Estimates Using Data on Female Twins," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 672-685, November.
- James J. Heckman, 1976. "The Common Structure of Statistical Models of Truncation, Sample Selection and Limited Dependent Variables and a Simple Estimator for Such Models," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 475-492 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel, K. & Black, D. & Smith, J., 1997.
"College Quality and the Wages of Young Men,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9707, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Koenker, Roger, 1981. "A note on studentizing a test for heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 107-112, September.
- James, Estelle, et al, 1989. "College Quality and Future Earnings: Where Should You Send Your Child to College?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 247-252, May.
- repec:uwp:jhriss:v:5:y:1970:i:2:p:177-19 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwphe:9604002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.