Inverse stochastic dominance constraints and rank dependent expected utility theory
We consider optimization problems with second order stochastic dominance constraints formulated as a relation of Lorenz curves. We characterize the relation in terms of rank dependent utility functions, which generalize Yaari's utility functions. We develop optimality conditions and duality theory for problems with Lorenz dominance constraints. We prove that Lagrange multipliers associated with these constraints can be identified with rank dependent utility functions. The problem is numerically tractable in the case of discrete distributions with equally probable realizations.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darinka Dentcheva & Andrzej Ruszczynski, 2004.
"Portfolio Optimization With Stochastic Dominance Constraints,"
0402016, EconWPA, revised 02 Mar 2006.
- Dentcheva, Darinka & Ruszczynski, Andrzej, 2006. "Portfolio optimization with stochastic dominance constraints," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 433-451, February.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Acerbi, Carlo & Tasche, Dirk, 2002.
"On the coherence of expected shortfall,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1487-1503, July.
- Hadar, Josef & Russell, William R, 1969. "Rules for Ordering Uncertain Prospects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 25-34, March.
- Muliere, Pietro & Scarsini, Marco, 1989.
"A note on stochastic dominance and inequality measures,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 314-323, December.
- Marco Scarsini & Pietro Muliere, 1989. "A note on stochastic dominance and inequality measures," Post-Print hal-00542231, HAL.
- Darinka Dentcheva & Andrzej Ruszczynski, 2004. "Optimization Under First Order Stochastic Dominance Constraints," GE, Growth, Math methods 0403002, EconWPA, revised 07 Aug 2005.
- David Schmeidler, 1989.
"Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7662, David K. Levine.
- Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 571-87, May.
- Gastwirth, Joseph L, 1971. "A General Definition of the Lorenz Curve," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(6), pages 1037-39, November.
- Darinka Dentcheva & Andrzej Ruszczynski, 2004. "Convexification of Stochastic Ordering," GE, Growth, Math methods 0402005, EconWPA, revised 05 Aug 2005.
- Quiggin, John, 1982. "A theory of anticipated utility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 323-343, December.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Wang, Shaun S. & Young, Virginia R. & Panjer, Harry H., 1997. "Axiomatic characterization of insurance prices," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 173-183, November.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpge:0503001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.