Strategic bargaining with destructive power
This paper studies a two-player alternating offers bargaining model in which one of the agents has the ability to damage permanently the ``pie'' bargained over. I show how this feature can result in an increase of the cost of rejecting an offer for the ``non-harming player''. Beside the ``Rubinstenian'' bilateral monopoly outcome, I show that it is possible to select a ``harming'' equilibrium in which the sequence of damages to the pie is endogenously determined and payoffs do not vary monotonically with the discount factor.
|Date of creation:||05 Dec 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - postscript; prepared on IBM PC ; to print on PostScript; pages: 21 ; figures: included. postcript via TrueTex Previewer|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://18.104.22.168|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raquel Fernandez & Jacob Glazer, 1989.
"Striking for a Bargain Between Two Completely Informed Agents,"
NBER Working Papers
3108, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fernandez, Raquel & Glazer, Jacob, 1991. "Striking for a Bargain between Two Completely Informed Agents," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 240-52, March.
- Holden, S., 1989.
"Non-Cooperative Wage Bargaining,"
12/1989, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
252, David K. Levine.
- Busch, L-A. & Wen, Q., 1991.
"Perfect Equilibria in a Negotiation Model,"
University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers
9108, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- repec:fth:harver:1432 is not listed on IDEAS
- Manzini, Paola, 1997.
"Strategic wage bargaining with destructive power: the role of commitment,"
Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 15-22, January.
- Manzini, P., 1996. "Strategic Wage Bargaining with Destructive Power : The Role of Commitment," Discussion Papers 9617, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Sakovics Jozsef, 1993. "Delay in Bargaining Games with Complete Information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 78-95, February.
- Eric Maskin & Jean Tirole, 2010.
"A Theory of Dynamic Oligopoly, 1: Overview and Quantity Competition with Large Fixed Costs,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
397, David K. Levine.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1988. "A Theory of Dynamic Oligopoly, I: Overview and Quantity Competition with Large Fixed Costs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(3), pages 549-69, May.
- J. Tirole & E. Maskin, 1982. "A Theory of Dynamic Oligopoly, I: Overview and Quantity Competition with Large-Fixed Costs," Working papers 320, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Haller, Hans & Holden, Steinar, 1990. "A letter to the editor on wage bargaining," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 232-236, October.
- Avery Christopher & Zemsky Peter B., 1994. "Money Burning and Multiple Equilibria in Bargaining," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 154-168, September.
- Muthoo Abhinay, 1995.
"Bargaining in a Long-Term Relationship with Endogenous Termination,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 590-598, August.
- Abhinay Muthoo, . "Bargaining in a Long-Term Relationbship with Endogenous Termination," Economics Discussion Papers 422, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Perry Motty & Reny Philip J., 1993. "A Non-cooperative Bargaining Model with Strategically Timed Offers," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 50-77, February.
- Lutz-Alexander Bush & Shouyong Shi & Quan Wen, 1998. "Bargaining with Surplus Destruction," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(4), pages 915-932, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpga:9612002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.