Simultaneous Auctions with Synergies
Motivated by recent auctions of licenses for the radio frequency spec trum, we consider situations where multiple objects are auctioned simultaneousl y by means of a second-price, sealed-bid auction. For some buyers, called globa l bidders, the value of multiple objects exceeds the sum of the objects' values separately. Others, called local bidders, are interested in only one object. I n a simple independent private values setting, we (a) characterize an equilibri um that is symmetric among the global bidders; (b) show that the addition of bi dders often leads to less aggressive bidding; and (c) compare the revenues obta ined from the simultaneous auction to those from its sequential counterpart.
|Date of creation:||13 Mar 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||32 pages, Figures are not included and may be obtained by FAX by send ing an e-mail message to either author.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://18.104.22.168 |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vijay Krishna & John Morgan, 1994.
"An Analysis of the War of Attrition and the All-Pay Auction,"
Game Theory and Information
- Krishna, Vijay & Morgan, John, 1997. "An Analysis of the War of Attrition and the All-Pay Auction," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 343-362, February.
- Maskin, Eric & Riley, John, 2000. "Asymmetric Auctions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(3), pages 413-38, July.
- Krishna, K., 1990.
"Auctions with Endogenous Valuations: The Persistence of Monopoly Revisited,"
472, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Krishna, Kala, 1993. "Auctions with Endogenous Valuations: The Persistence of Monopoly Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 147-60, March.
- repec:att:wimass:9008 is not listed on IDEAS
- Milgrom, Paul R & Weber, Robert J, 1982.
"A Theory of Auctions and Competitive Bidding,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1089-1122, September.
- John McMillan, 1994. "Selling Spectrum Rights," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(3), pages 145-162, Summer.
- repec:att:wimass:9318 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gale, Ian, 1990.
"A multiple-object auction with superadditive values,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 323-328, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpga:9503004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.