Monetary Policy with Incomplete Markets
We consider an extension of a general equilibrium model with incomplete markets that considers cash-in-advance constraints. The total amount of money is supplied by an authority, which produces at no cost and lends money to agents at short term nominal rates of interest, meeting the demand. Agents have initial nominal claims, which in the aggregate, are the counterpart of an initial public debt. The authority covers its expenditures, including initial debt, through public revenues which consists of taxes and seignorage, and distributes its eventual budget surpluses through transfers to individuals, while no further instruments are available to correct eventual budget deficits. We define a concept of equilibrium in this extended model, and prove that there exists a monetary equilibrium with no transfers. Moreover, we show that if the price level is high enough, a monetary equilibrium with positive transfers exists.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Werner, Jan, 1985. "Equilibrium in economies with incomplete financial markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 110-119, June.
- DREZE, Jacques H. & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, .
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1525, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Heracles M. Polemarchakis & Jacques H. Drèze, 1995. "Monetary Equilibria," Working Papers hal-00607521, HAL.
- DREZE, Jacques & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, 2000. "Monetary equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers 2000044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- DREZE, Jacques & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, 1995. "Monetary equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers 1995078, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1985.
"Money and Interest in a Cash-in-Advance Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
1618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Woodford, Michael, 1994. "Monetary Policy and Price Level Determinacy in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 4(3), pages 345-80.
- Magill, M. & Quinzii, M., 1988.
"Real Effects Of Money In General Equilibrium,"
8826, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & Yves Younes, 1973.
"On the Efficiency of a Monetary Equilibrium,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 40(2), pages 149-165.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1990. "Liquidity and interest rates," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 237-264, April.
- Duffie, Darrell, 1987. "Stochastic equilibria with incomplete financial markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 405-416, April.
- Monique Florenzano, 2008.
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
b08005, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Monique Florenzano, 2007. "General equilibrium," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00250167, HAL.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0503026. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.