The introduction of banks that issue money and supply balances and pay out their profis as dividends is the natural modification of the model of general competitive equilibrium that encompasses monetary economies with an operative transactions technology. Monetary policy sets nominal rates of interest and accommodates the demand for balances; alternatively, it sets the supply of balances and rates of interest adjust for money markets to clear. Competitive equilibria exist. Under uncertainty, monetary policy fails to determine the distribution of the rate of inflation or the allocation of resources at equilibrium. If, in addition to rates of interest, monetary policy sets the prices of contingent loans subject to no-arbitrage constraints, or targets the distribution of the terminal level of prices, it lifts the multiplicity.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1975. ""Rational" Expectations, the Optimal Monetary Instrument, and the Optimal Money Supply Rule," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(2), pages 241-54, April.
- Joseph M. Ostroy & Ross M. Starr, 1973.
"Money and the Decentralization of Exchange,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
041, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Gaetano Bloise & Jacques Dréze & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2005.
"Monetary equilibria over an infinite horizon,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 25(1), pages 51-74, 01.
- BLOISE, Gaetano & DREZE, Jacques H. & POLEMARCHAKIS, Herakles M., . "Monetary equilibria over an infinite horizon," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1750, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gaetano Bloise & J. H. Dreze & H. M. Polemarchakis, 2003. "Monetary Equilibria over an Infinite Horizon," Discussion Papers 03-19, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1989. "On Money as a Medium of Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 927-54, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:1995078. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.