Monetary Policy with State Contingent Interest Rates
Under a monetary policy rule for the nominal interest rate, i.e. the return on risk-free short-term nominal bonds, there may be a unique local equilibrium, but there are in general multiple global equilibria. We show that the appropriate interest rate instruments under uncertainty are state-contingent interest rates, i.e. the nominal returns on state-contingent nominal assets. A policy that pegs the state-contingent interest rates implements a unique equilibrium globally. This policy is particularly relevant at the zero bound.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernardino Adão & Isabel Correia & Pedro Teles, 2001.
"Gaps and triangles,"
Working Paper Series
WP-01-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Adão, Bernardino & Correia, Isabel & Teles, Pedro, 2001. "Gaps and Triangles," CEPR Discussion Papers 2668, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernardino Adao, 2000. "Gaps and Triangles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1904, Econometric Society.
- Bernardino Adão & Isabel Horta Correia & Pedro Teles, 2001. "Gaps and Triangles," Working Papers w200102, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Timothy S. Fuerst, 2001.
"Timing and real indeterminacy in monetary models,"
9910R, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Massimo Rostagno, 2001. "Money Growth Monitoring and the Taylor Rule," NBER Working Papers 8539, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1975. ""Rational" Expectations, the Optimal Monetary Instrument, and the Optimal Money Supply Rule," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(2), pages 241-54, April.
- Tomoyuki Nakajima & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2005. "Money and Prices Under Uncertainty," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(1), pages 223-246.
- BLOISE, Gaetano & DREZE, Jacques H. & POLEMARCHAKIS, Herakles M., .
"Monetary equilibria over an infinite horizon,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1750, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Buera, Francisco & Nicolini, Juan Pablo, 2004.
"Optimal maturity of government debt without state contingent bonds,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 531-554, April.
- Juan Pablo Nicolini & Francisco Buera, 2002. "Optimal Maturity of Governement Debt without state contingent bonds," Department of Economics Working Papers 016, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 1981.
"Price level determinacy with an interest rate policy rule and rational expectations,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 319-329.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1980. "Price Level Determinacy with an Interest Rate Policy Rule and Rational Expectations," NBER Working Papers 0559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DREZE, Jacques & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, 1995.
CORE Discussion Papers
1995078, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- DREZE, Jacques & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, 2000. "Monetary equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers 2000044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- DREZE, Jacques H. & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, . "Monetary equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1525, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Heracles M. Polemarchakis & Jacques H. Drèze, 1995. "Monetary Equilibria," Working Papers hal-00607521, HAL.
- George-Marios Angeletos, 2002. "Fiscal Policy with Noncontingent Debt and the Optimal Maturity Structure," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(3), pages 1105-1131.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed009:960. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.