Estimation of mis-specified long memory models
We study the asymptotic behaviour of frequency domain maximum likelihood estimators of mis-specified models of long memory Gaussian series. We show that even if the long memory structure of the time series is correctly specified, mis-specification of the short memory dynamics may result in estimators of both long- and short-memory parameters that are slower than ãn consistent for the pseudo-true parameter values, which in general differ from the true values. The conditions under which this happens are provided and the asymptotic distribution of the estimators is shown to be non-Gaussian. Conditions under which estimators of the parameters of the mis-specified model have the standard ãn consistency for the pseudo-true values and are asymptotically normal are also provided.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:4:p:657-81 is not listed on IDEAS
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Tauchen, George E. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1995.
"Which Moments to Match,"
95-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Trognon, Alain, 1984.
"Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Methods: Applications to Poisson Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 701-20, May.
- Gourieroux Christian & Monfort Alain & Trognon A, 1982. "Pseudo maximum lilelihood methods : applications to poisson models," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 8203, CEPREMAP.
- Chen, Willa W. & Deo, Rohit S., 2004. "A Generalized Portmanteau Goodness-Of-Fit Test For Time Series Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 382-416, April.
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A. & Renault, E., 1992.
92.279, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Gourieroux Christian & Monfort Alain & Trognon A, 1981.
"Pseudo maximum likelihood methods : theory,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpem:0501004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.