An Estimate Of Average Income And Inequality In Byzantium Around Year 1000
Using recent economic statistics from the peak period of Byzantine political and economic influence, we estimate the average income around the year 1000 to have been about 6 nomismata per capita per annum. This is then translated into current prices using two independent methods. They both yield an estimate around $PPP 640-720 in 1990 international prices. It is argued that this amount is some 20 percent below an average estimate of Roman incomes at the time of Augustus (around year one). Assuming that most of income differences in Byzantium were due to the differences in average incomes between social classes, we estimate the Gini coefficient to have been in the range between 40 and 45.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Allen, 2003. "Progress and poverty in early modern Europe," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 56(3), pages 403-443, 08.
- Chenny, Shirley & St-Amour, Pascal & Vencatachellum, Desire, 2003.
"Slave prices from succession and bankruptcy sales in Mauritius, 1825-1827,"
Explorations in Economic History,
Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 419-442, October.
- Chenny, Shirley & St-Amour, Pascal & Vencatachellum, Désiré, 2003. "Slaves Prices from Succession and Bankruptcy Sales in Mauritius, 1825-1827," Cahiers de recherche 0309, CIRPEE.
- Shirley Chenny & Pascal St-Amour & Désiré Vencatachellum, 2002. "Slave Prices from Succession and Bankruptcy Sales in Mauritius, 1825--1827," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-79, CIRANO.
- Lopez, Robert Sabatino, 1951. "The Dollar of the Middle Ages," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 209-234, June.
- Goldsmith, Raymond W, 1984. "An Estimate of the Size and Structure of the National Product of the Early Roman Empire," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 30(3), pages 263-88, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpeh:0501003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.