Learning Business Negotiations with Web-based Systems: The Case of IIMB
Access to, and the ability to use computer and communication technologies varies widely between countries. It is often lack of proficiency rather than access that creates the barriers between developed and developing countries. The interNeg Web site and its online system INSPIRE and INSS, aim at overcoming these barriers by educating people around the world about decision and negotiation analysis and providing them with an opportunity to use decision support techniques. The systems allow one to conduct simulated negotiations with people from different cultures and solve realistic managerial decision problems. In this paper we present and discuss the limitations of the prevailing methods for teaching decision making and negotiation and present a technological solution that is Internet-based. We present our experiences with using our Web-based decision and negotiation support systems in executive training programs at the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB). The discussion of extension to the presented methods and their use in higher education in developing countries concludes the paper.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: A-2361 Laxenburg|
Web page: http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Publications/Catalog/PUB_ONLINE.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nancy J Adler & John L Graham, 1989. "Cross-Cultural Interaction: The International Comparison Fallacy?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 20(3), pages 515-537, September.
- June N P Francis, 1991. "When in Rome? The Effects of Cultural Adaptation on Intercultural Business Negotiations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 22(3), pages 403-428, September.
- Kersten, Gregory E. & Szapiro, Tomasz, 1986. "Generalized approach to modeling negotiations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 142-149, July.
- John L Graham, 1985. "The Influence of Culture on the Process of Business Negotiations: An Exploratory Study," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 16(1), pages 81-96, March.
- Gilbert R. Winham & H. Eugene Bovis, 1979. "Distribution of Benefits In Negotiation," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 23(3), pages 408-424, September.
- G.E. Kersten & S.J. Noronha, 1997. "Supporting International Negotiation with a WWW-Based System," Working Papers ir97049, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:iasawp:ir98049. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.