Regulation of a Complementary Imputed Good in a Competitive Environment
This article investigates the problem of a regulated imputed good which is used in the production process of the final goods. The relationship between the firm producing the essential input factor and the regulating authority is described by a standard principal-agent setup. By assuming a fixed functional relationship in the production process between the imputed good and the final market goods, there exists some kind of separation between regulation and competition on the final good market. Thus, the degree of competitiveness on the final good market has no effect on optimal contracts. Moreover, in this model vertical integration weakly dominates vertical disintegration in welfare for subadditive cost functions.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Zipped Postscript Document|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.wu.ac.at/economics/en
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Owen R. Phillips & Charles F. Mason, 1996. "Market Regulation and Multimarket Rivalry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(3), pages 596-617, Autumn.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John, 1995.
"Organizational Diseconomies of Scale,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 399-426, Fall.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1986.
"Using Cost Observation to Regulate Firms,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 614-41, June.
- David E.M. Sappington & David S. Sibley, 1992. "Strategic Nonlinear Pricing under Price-Cap Regulation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(1), pages 1-19, Spring.
- R. Preston McAfee & John McMillan, 1987. "Competition for Agency Contracts," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 18(2), pages 296-307, Summer.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1977.
"Incentive Compatability and the Bargaining Problem,"
284, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Myerson, Roger B, 1979. "Incentive Compatibility and the Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 61-73, January.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1978. "Optimal Auction Design," Discussion Papers 362, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1994.
"The New Economics of Regulation Ten Years After,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 507-37, May.
- Green, Jerry & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1977. "Characterization of Satisfactory Mechanisms for the Revelation of Preferences for Public Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(2), pages 427-38, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwwuw:wuwp056. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.