Innovation activity in the SMEs and local environment
ABSTRACT The aim of this study is to clarify what factors affect the innovation activity of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), and especially the effect of regional factors. Innovations are seen as central phenomena on both micro and macro levels in economy. However, we know little about the formation, development and diffusion of innovations in different milieus. The different types of branch and enterprise structure might be the essential factor that accounts for regional differences in innovation activities. Many studies show remarkable differences between branches. Additionally, the resources of firms give an unequal starting point for innovation activities. Our study observed that the differences between regions were smaller than anticipated. It also found the innovation profiles in different areas to be fairly convergent.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul L. Robertson & Richard N. Langlois, 1994.
"Innovation, Networks, and Vertical Integration,"
- Clive Lawson & Edward Lorenz, 1999. "Collective Learning, Tacit Knowledge and Regional Innovative Capacity," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 305-317.
- Muller, Emmanuel & Zenker, Andrea, 2001. "Business services as actors of knowledge transformation: the role of KIBS in regional and national innovation systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1501-1516, December.
- Littunen, Hannu & Tohmo, Timo, 2003. " The High Growth in New Metal-Based Manufacturing and Business Service Firms in Finland," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 187-200, September.
- Håkansson, Håkan & Snehota, Ivan, 1989. "No business is an island: The network concept of business strategy," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 187-200.
- Audretsch, David B. & Feldman, Maryann P., 2004. "Knowledge spillovers and the geography of innovation," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 61, pages 2713-2739 Elsevier.
- Maskell, Peter & Malmberg, Anders, 1999. "Localised Learning and Industrial Competitiveness," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 167-85, March.
- Llerena, Patrick & Oltra, Vanessa, 2002.
"Diversity of innovative strategy as a source of technological performance,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 179-201, June.
- Patrick LLERENA & Vanessa OLTRA, 2001. "Diversity of innovative strategy as a source of technological performance," Working Papers of BETA 2001-12, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Patrick Llerena & Vanessa Oltra, 2000. "Diversity of Innovative Strategy as a Source of Technological Performance," DRUID Working Papers 00-1, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Stefano Breschi, 2000. "The Geography of Innovation: A Cross-sector Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(3), pages 213-229.
- Danes, Sharon M. & Stafford, Kathryn & Loy, Johnben Teik-Cheok, 2007. "Family business performance: The effects of gender and management," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(10), pages 1058-1069, October.
- Alexander Kaufmann & Franz Todtling, 2000. "Systems of Innovation in Traditional Industrial Regions: The Case of Styria in a Comparative Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(1), pages 29-40.
- John Glasson & Andrew Chadwick & Helen Lawton Smith, 2004. "Defining, explaining and managing high-tech growth: The case of Oxfordshire," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 503-524, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa10p240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.