What qualifies as a cluster theory?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Philippe Baumard, 1996. "Organizations in the Fog: An Investigation into the Dynamics of Knowledge," Post-Print hal-03230959, HAL.
- Maskell, Peter & Malmberg, Anders, 1999. "Localised Learning and Industrial Competitiveness," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 167-185, March.
- Giuliano Bianchi, 1998. "Requiem for the Third Italy? Rise and Fall of a too succesful concept," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 93-116, January.
- Maskell, Peter, 2001. "Towards a Knowledge-Based Theory of the Geographical Cluster," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 921-943, December.
- Ellison, Glenn & Glaeser, Edward L, 1997.
"Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 889-927, October.
- Glenn Ellison & Edward L. Glaeser, 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," NBER Working Papers 4840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellison, G. & Glaeser, E.L., 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," Working papers 94-27, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Stefano Breschi, 2000. "The Geography of Innovation: A Cross-sector Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(3), pages 213-229.
- R. H. Coase, 2013.
"The Problem of Social Cost,"
Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(4), pages 837-877.
- Ronald H. Coase, 1960. "The Problem of Social Cost," Palgrave Macmillan Books, in: Chennat Gopalakrishnan (ed.), Classic Papers in Natural Resource Economics, chapter 5, pages 87-137, Palgrave Macmillan.
- R.D. Norton, 1992. "Agglomeration and Competitiveness: From Marshall to Chinitz," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 29(2), pages 155-170, April.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2003.
"Deconstructing clusters: chaotic concept or policy panacea?,"
Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 5-35, January.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2002. "Deconstructing Clusters: Chaotic Concept or Policy Panacea," Working Papers wp244, Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge.
- Frank Moulaert & Farid Sekia, 2003. "Territorial Innovation Models: A Critical Survey," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 289-302.
- Cynthia A. Lengnick‐Hall & James A. Wolff, 1999. "Similarities and contradictions in the core logic of three strategy research streams," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(12), pages 1109-1132, December.
- Brian J. Loasby, 2001. "Organisation as Interpretative Systems," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 97(1), pages 17-34.
- Richardson, G B, 1972. "The Organisation of Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(327), pages 883-896, September.
- Senker, Jacqueline, 1997. "The geography of innovation : by Maryann P. Feldman, Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, 1994, 154 pp., ISBN 0-7923-2698-9. Innovation, Networks and Learning Regions? James Simmie (ed.), Jessica Kingsley, Lon," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 387-388, October.
- Michael Porter, 1994. "The Role of Location in Competition," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 35-40.
- Gioacchino Garofoli, 1993. "Economic development, organization of production and territory," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 64(1), pages 22-37.
- Harald Bathelt & Andersand Malmberg & Peter Maskell, 2002. "Clusters and Knowledge Local Buzz, Global Pipelines and the Process of Knowledge Creation," DRUID Working Papers 02-12, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Swann, G. M. Peter & Prevezer, Martha & Stout, David (ed.), 1998. "The Dynamics of Industrial Clustering: International Comparisons in Computing and Biotechnology," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198289593.
- Giorgio Gottardi, 1996. "Technology strategies, innovation without R&D," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 119-134.
- Brusco, Sebastiano, 1982. "The Emilian Model: Productive Decentralisation and Social Integration," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 167-184, June.
- Bennett Harrison, 2007. "Industrial Districts: Old Wine in New Bottles? (Volume 26, Number 5, 1992)," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(sup1), pages 107-121.
- Denis MAILLAT, 1998. "From the industrial district to the innovative milieu : Contribution to an analysis of territorialised productive organisations," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1998017, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Roberto P. Camagni, 1995. "The Concept Of Innovative Milieu And Its Relevance For Public Policies In European Lagging Regions," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 74(4), pages 317-340, October.
- Börje Johansson & Charlie Karlsson & Roger R. Stough (ed.), 2001. "Theories of Endogenous Regional Growth," Advances in Spatial Science, Springer, number 978-3-642-59570-7.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Peter Maskell & Leïla Kebir, 2006. "What Qualifies as a Cluster Theory?," Working Papers hal-01675959, HAL.
- Peter Maskell & Mark Lorenzen, 2004. "The Cluster as Market Organisation," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 41(5-6), pages 991-1009, May.
- Sara Cruz & Aurora Teixeira, 2010. "The Evolution of the Cluster Literature: Shedding Light on the Regional Studies-Regional Science Debate," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(9), pages 1263-1288.
- Patrucco, Pier Paolo, 2002. "Metropolitan Regions as a Factor Shaping the Dynamics of Collective Technological Knowledge," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200207, University of Turin.
- Christophe CARRINCAZEAUX (E3I-IFReDE-GRES) & Frédéric GASCHET (IERSO-IFReDE-GRES), 2006.
"Knowledge and the diversity of innovation systems: a comparative analysis of European regions,"
Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009)
2006-29, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Christophe Carrincazeaux & Frédéric Gaschet, 2006. "Knowledge and the diversity of innovation systems: a comparative analysis of European regions," Post-Print hal-00221405, HAL.
- Christophe CARRINCAZEAUX & Frédéric GASCHET, 2012. "Knowledge and diversity of innovation systems: a comparative analysis of European regions," Cahiers du GREThA (2007-2019) 2012-06, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée (GREThA).
- Christophe Carrincazeaux & Frédéric Gaschet, 2006. "Knowledge and the diversity of innovation systems: a comparative analysis of European regions," Post-Print hal-00257384, HAL.
- Benner, Maximilian, 2009. "What do we know about clusters? In search of effective cluster policies," MPRA Paper 43848, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2009.
- Maria Rosaria Della Peruta & Manlio Giudice & Rosa Lombardi & Pedro Soto-Acosta, 2018. "Open Innovation, Product Development, and Inter-Company Relationships Within Regional Knowledge Clusters," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer;Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET), vol. 9(2), pages 680-693, June.
- Markus Grillitsch, 2014. "Regional Transformation: Institutional Change and Economic Evolution in Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa14p1481, European Regional Science Association.
- Nedko Mintchev, 2007. "Clusters – Characteristics and Structure," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 4, pages 96-125.
- Peter Maskell & Mark Lorenzen, 2003. "The Cluster as Market Organization," DRUID Working Papers 03-14, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- T. Brenner, 2006. "A Stochastic Theory of Geographic Concentration and the Empirical Evidence in Germany," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2005-23, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Iammarino, Simona & McCann, Philip, 2006.
"The structure and evolution of industrial clusters: Transactions, technology and knowledge spillovers,"
Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1018-1036, September.
- Simona Iammarino & Philip McCann, 2006. "The Structure and Evolution of Industrial Clusters: Transactions, Technology and Knowledge Spillovers," SPRU Working Paper Series 138, SPRU - Science Policy Research Unit, University of Sussex Business School.
- Kibar, Samet, 2020. "Eine ökonomisch theoretische Analyse der Konzeption und Legitimation staatlicher Clusterförderung," Arbeitspapiere 191, University of Münster, Institute for Cooperatives.
- Martin Perry, 2005. "Clustering Small Enterprise: Lessons from Policy Experience in New Zealand," Environment and Planning C, , vol. 23(6), pages 833-850, December.
- Charlie Karlsson & Gunther Maier & Michaela Trippl & Iulia Siedschlag & Gavin Murphy, 2010. "ICT and Regional Economic Dynamics: A Literature Review," JRC Research Reports JRC59920, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Argentino Pessoa, 2014. "Agglomeration and regional growth policy: externalities versus comparative advantages," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 53(1), pages 1-27, August.
- Sue Konzelmann & Frank Wilkinson, 2017. "Co-operation and competition in production and exchange: the “district” form of industrial organization and development," Economia e Politica Industriale: Journal of Industrial and Business Economics, Springer;Associazione Amici di Economia e Politica Industriale, vol. 44(4), pages 393-410, December.
- Anders Malmberg & Peter Maskell, 2002. "The Elusive Concept of Localization Economies: Towards a Knowledge-Based Theory of Spatial Clustering," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 34(3), pages 429-449, March.
- Grillitsch, Markus, 2014. "Institutional Change and Economic Evolution in Regions," Papers in Innovation Studies 2014/1, Lund University, CIRCLE - Centre for Innovation Research.
- Yasuyuki Motoyama, 2008. "What Was New About the Cluster Theory?," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 22(4), pages 353-363, November.
More about this item
KeywordsCluster; cluster theory; industrial district; innovative milieu; regional policy;
All these keywords.
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-GEO-2005-08-20 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2005-08-20 (Innovation)
- NEP-MIC-2005-08-20 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-SOC-2005-08-20 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
- NEP-URE-2005-08-20 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aal:abbswp:05-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://www.druid.dk/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Keld Laursen (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://www.druid.dk/ .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.