Passenger flows in CGE models for transport project evaluation
Recently computable general equilibrium methods are becoming more and more popular for estimating welfare effects of transport projects, when a differentiation by region or social group is required. This paper focuses on the spatial distributional dimension. Most spatial CGE applications, however, have up to now only taken the impact of goods transport costs into consideration. To a large extent, however, welfare effects are due to time and cost savings in passenger transport. This paper extends the CGE approach by including private passenger transport. It aims at a model design deriving passenger flows from individual optimising behaviour; it uses parsimonious functional forms such that it is possible to calibrate the model using benchmark data on O-D passenger flows and willingness to pay estimates for time savings. The latter will be borrowed from the literature. The paper will present different specifications: with and without an explicit time constraint; continuous and discrete decisions on the level of the individual. Equivalent variation measures for quantifying welfare impacts in monetary terms will be derived.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johannes Brocker & d’Artis Kancs, 2001. "Methodology for the Assessment of Spatial Economic Impacts of Transport Projects and Policies," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2001_03, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 1995.
"Complementarities and Cumulative Processes in Models of Monopolistic Competition,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 33(2), pages 701-729, June.
- Kiminiori Matsuyama, 1994. "Complementaries and Cumulative Processes In Models of Monopolistic Competition," Discussion Papers 1106, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1982. "National and International Returns to Scale in the Modern Theory of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 389-405, June.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Bröcker, Johannes, 1998. "Spatial effects of transeuropean networks: Preliminary results from a spatial computable general equilibrium analysis," Discussion Papers 4/98, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Transportation and Traffic Sciences "Friedrich List", Institute for Transport and Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa02p163. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.