The changing role of the regions in German technology policy
German technology policy has undergone a particularly remarkable change in recent years. Traditionally, the reference units of German technology policy were single firms, technologies or sectors. Since the mid-90`s the German Federal Government has discovered the region as a new reference unit for technology policy. Policy instruments such as the 'Bioregio contest', the 'City Contest Multimedia' or the 'Competition of Nanotechnology Competence Centers' have drawn a lot of attention nationally as well as internationally. In contrast to these early instruments that were restricted to single technologies, the newly established 'InnoRegio contest' encompasses different fields of technology but is geographically restricted to east Germany. The current paper analyses the two prototype models of the new region-oriented technology policy, namely the BioRegio contest and the InnoRegio contest as well as the most recent initiative 'Regional Innovative Growth Cores' which may be seen as a combination of the two prototype models. The aim is to elaborate strengths and weaknesses of region oriented technology policy in general and to make suggestions for it's advancement. Key words: Technology Policy, Regions, Competitiveness, Economic Geography, Clusters Jel-Classification: L52, O30, R11, R50.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991.
"Growth in Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1993.
"Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 577-598.
- Jaffe, A.B. & Trajtenberg, M., 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," Papers 14-92, Tel Aviv.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," NBER Working Papers 3993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cooke, Philip & Gomez Uranga, Mikel & Etxebarria, Goio, 1997. "Regional innovation systems: Institutional and organisational dimensions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 475-491, December.
- R Sternberg, 1995. "Supporting peripheral economies or industrial policy in favour of national growth? An empirically based analysis of goal achievement of the Japanese 'Technopolis' Program," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 13(4), pages 425-439, August.
- von Hayek, Friedrich August, 1989.
"The Pretence of Knowledge,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(6), pages 3-7, December.
- Baptista, Rui, 2000. "Do innovations diffuse faster within geographical clusters?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 515-535, April.
- Sternberg, Rolf G., 1996. "Government R & D expenditure and space: empirical evidence from five industrialized countries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 741-758, August.
- Dohse, Dirk, 2000. "Regionen als Innovationsmotoren: zur Neuorientierung in der deutschen Technologiepolitik," Kiel Discussion Papers 366, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa02p023. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.