Shirking, Endogenous Lay-off Rates and the A-cyclicality of the Real Wage
The paper extends the Shapiro-Stiglitz (1987) efficiency wage model by endogenising the probability of worker displacement as a function of the change in the firm's employment. This creates counter-cyclical variation in the wage mark-up and thereby generates real wage persistence. A New Keynesian DSGE model equipped with this extension replicates the empirical facts of a very limited response of the real wage to the business cycle together with a lagged hump-shaped response of employment to output.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arsenal Object 20, A-1030 Wien|
Phone: (+43 1) 798 26 01-0
Fax: (+43 1) 798 93 86
Web page: http://www.wifo.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David de la Croix & Gregory de Walque & Rafael Wouters, 2006.
"Dynamics and monetary policy in a fair wage model of the business cycle,"
Working Paper Research
98, National Bank of Belgium.
- de la Croix, David & de Walque, Gregory & Wouters, Rafael, 2009. "A Note On Inflation Persistence In A Fair Wage Model Of The Business Cycle," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 673-684, November.
- de la Croix, David & de Walque, Gregory & Wouters, Raf, 2007. "Dynamics and monetary policy in a fair wage model of the business cycle," Working Paper Series 0780, European Central Bank.
- David, DE LA CROIX & Gregory, DE WALQUE & Rafael, WOUTERS, 2006. "Dynamics and monetary policy in a fair wage model of the business cycle," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2006061, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- DE LA CROIX, David & DE WALQUE, Gregory & WOUTERS, Rafael, 2006. "Dynamics and monetary policy in a fair wage model of the business cycle," CORE Discussion Papers 2006106, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfo:wpaper:y:2009:i:350. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.