Official Foreign Exchange Interventions in the Czech Republic: Did They Matter?
This paper studies the impact of daily official foreign exchange interventions on the Czech koruna’s exchange rate vis-à-vis the euro (German mark prior to 1999) from 1997 to 2002. Using both the event study methodology and a variety of GARCH models reveal that central bank interventions, especially koruna purchases were fairly ineffective from 1997 to mid-1998 compared to the size of the interventions. However, from mid-1998 to 2002, koruna sales were surprisingly effective in either smoothing the path of the exchange rate or even reversing the appreciating trend up to 60 days. Higher volatility triggered koruna purchases in the period from 1997 to mid-1998, which in turn leads to higher volatility. This suggests that the CNB tried in vain to calm the markets after the currency crisis. Koruna sales simply yield more forex rate volatility, a by-product of the monetary authorities’ efforts to counter excessive appreciation.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brainerd, Elizabeth & Cutler, David M, 2005.
"Autopsy on an Empire: Understanding Mortality in Russia and the Former Soviet Union,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4900, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elizabeth Brainerd & David M. Cutler, 2005. "Autopsy on an Empire: Understanding Mortality in Russia and the Former Soviet Union," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 107-130, Winter.
- Brainerd, Elizabeth & Cutler, David M., 2005. "Autopsy on an Empire: Understanding Mortality in Russia and the Former Soviet Union," IZA Discussion Papers 1472, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Elizabeth Brainerd & David M. Cutler, 2005. "Autopsy on an Empire: Understanding Mortality in Russia and the Former Soviet Union," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp740, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Elizabeth Brainerd & David M. Cutler, 2004. "Autopsy on an Empire: Understanding Mortality in Russia and the Former Soviet Union," NBER Working Papers 10868, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brainerd, Elizabeth & Cutler, David, 2005. "Autopsy on an Empire: Understanding Mortality in Russia and the Former Soviet Union," Scholarly Articles 2640589, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Chionis, Dionysios P., 2004. "Foreign exchange market intervention: implications of publicly announced and secret intervention for the euro exchange rate and its volatility," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 661-673, September.
- Ilker Domac & Alfonso Mendoza, 2002. "Is there Room for Forex Interventions under Inflation Targeting Framework? Evidence from Mexico and Turkey," Discussion Papers 0206, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Aguilar, Javiera & Nydahl, Stefan, 2000. "Central bank intervention and exchange rates: the case of Sweden," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 303-322, December.
- Beine, Michel & Benassy-Quere, Agnes & MacDonald, Ronald, 2007.
"The impact of central bank intervention on exchange-rate forecast heterogeneity,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 38-63, March.
- Michel Beine & Agnes Bénassy-Quéré & Ronald MacDonald, 2007. "The impact of Central Bank intervention on exchange rate forecasts heterogeneity," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10423, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michel Beine & Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Estelle Dauchy & Ronald MacDonald, 2002. "The Impact of Central Bank Intervention on Exchange-Rate Forecast Heterogeneity," Working Papers 2002-04, CEPII research center.
- M. Beine & A. Bénassy-Quéré & E. Dauchy & R. MacDonald, 2002. "The Impact of Central Bank Intervention on Exchange-Rate Forecast Heterogeneity," THEMA Working Papers 2002-22, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Jeff M. Rogers & Pierre Siklos, 2001.
"Foreign Exchange Market Intervention in Two Small Open Economies: The Canadian and Australian Experience,"
Research Paper Series
57, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Rogers, J. M. & Siklos, P. L., 2003. "Foreign exchange market intervention in two small open economies: the Canadian and Australian experience," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 393-416, June.
- Ramana Ramaswamy & Hossein Samiei, 2000. "The Yen-Dollar Rate; Have Interventions Mattered?," IMF Working Papers 00/95, International Monetary Fund.
- Kim, Suk-Joong & Kortian, Tro & Sheen, Jeffrey, 2000. "Central bank intervention and exchange rate volatility -- Australian evidence," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 381-405, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2005-760. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.