Foreign Exchange Market Intervention in Two Small Open Economies: The Canadian and Australian Experience
This paper provides and empirical assessment of the effectiveness of foreign exchange intervention in two small open economies. Specifically, we examine the intervention practices of the Bank of Canada (BoC) and the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) for a sample of daily data spanning the period from 1989 to the end of 1997. Our analysis suggests that both central bank intervene in foreign exchange markets in response to excessive exchange rate volatility and uncertainty. Volatility is measured using the implied volatility of foreign currency futures options and uncertainty is proxied using the kurtosis of the implied risk-neutral probability density functions. The latter are derived using the implied volatility of options on foreign currency futures. We also examine whether the introduction of inflation targets affected the success of interventions. in the foreign exchange market. Unlike other studies in this area we also explicitly consider the role of commodity futures prices which turn out to be important in understanding the effectiveness of intervention. We find that central bank intervention in the foreign exchange amrket was largely unsuccessful in both countries though volatility and kurtosis were modestly affected.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as: Rogers, J. M. and Siklos, P. L., 2003. "Foreign Exchange Market Intervention in Two Small Open Economies: The Canadian and Australian Experience", Journal of International Money and Finance, 22(3), 393-416.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.qfrc.uts.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neil, Beattie & Fillion, Jean-François, 1999. "An Intraday Analysis of the Effectiveness of Foreign Exchange Intervention," Working Papers 99-4, Bank of Canada.
- Frank Campbell & Eleanor Lewis, 1998. "What Moves Yields in Australia?," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp9808, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Dominguez, Kathryn M., 1998. "Central bank intervention and exchange rate volatility1," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 161-190, February.
- Kim, Suk-Joong & Sheen, Jeffrey, 2002. "The determinants of foreign exchange intervention by central banks: evidence from Australia," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 619-649, October.
- Hung, Juann H, 1997. "Intervention strategies and exchange rate volatility: a noise trading perspective," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 779-793, September.
- Mark P. Taylor & Lucio Sarno, 2001.
"Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market: Is It Effective and, If So, How Does It Work?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(3), pages 839-868, September.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001. "Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market: Is It Effective, and, If So, How Does It Work?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2690, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Murray, J. & Van Norden, S. & Vigfusson, R., 1996. "Excess Volatility and Speculative Bubbles in the Canadian Dollar: Real of Imagined?," Technical Reports 76, Bank of Canada.
- Pierre L. Siklos, 1999. "Inflation-target design: changing inflation performance and persistence in industrial countries," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 46-58.
- Almekinders, Geert J. & Eijffinger, Sylvester C. W., 1996.
"A friction model of daily Bundesbank and Federal Reserve intervention,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(8), pages 1365-1380, September.
- Almekinders, G.J. & Eijffinger, S.C.W., 1996. "A friction model of daily Bundesbank and Federal Reserve intervention," Other publications TiSEM 9ca974cc-1549-4752-8dbe-0, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Haan, Wouter J. den & Spear, Scott A., 1998. "Volatility clustering in real interest rates Theory and evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 431-453, May.
- Almekinders, Geert J & Eijffinger, Sylvester C W, 1994.
"Daily Bundesbank and Federal Reserve Interventions: Are They a Reaction to Changes in the Level and Volatility of the DM/$-Rate?,"
Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 111-30.
- Almekinders, G.J. & Eijffinger, S.C.W., 1994. "Daily Bundesbank and federal reserve interventions : Are they a reaction to changes in the level and volatility of the DM/$-rate?," Other publications TiSEM e583abfb-39f0-4c9d-8848-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Catherine Bonser-Neal, 1996. "Does central bank intervention stabilize foreign exchange rates?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q I, pages 43-57.
- Siklos, Pierre L, 2000. "Is the MCI a Useful Signal of Monetary Policy Conditions? An Empirical Investigation," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 413-37, November.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Osterberg, William P., 1997. "Why do central banks intervene?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 909-919, December.
- Michael P. Leahy & Charles P. Thomas, 1996. "The sovereignty option: the Quebec referendum and market views on the Canadian dollar," International Finance Discussion Papers 555, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John B. Taylor, 1999. "Monetary Policy Rules," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number tayl99-1.
- Robert A. Amano & Tony S. Wirjanto, .
"A Further Analysis of Exchange Rate Targeting in Canada,"
94-2, Bank of Canada.
- Robert A. Amano & Tony S. Wirjanto, 1994. "A Further Analysis of Exchange Rate Targeting in Canada," Econometrics 9406001, EconWPA, revised 22 Jun 1994.
- Kim, Suk-Joong & Kortian, Tro & Sheen, Jeffrey, 2000. "Central bank intervention and exchange rate volatility -- Australian evidence," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 381-405, December.
- Agathe Cote, . "Exchange Rate Volatility and Trade: A Survey," Working Papers 94-5, Bank of Canada.
- Murray, John, 1999. "Why Canada Needs a Flexible Exchange Rate," Working Papers 99-12, Bank of Canada.
- Llad Phillips & John Pippenger, 1993. "Stabilization of the Canadian Dollar: 1975-1986," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 416-46, May.
- Weymark, Diana N., 1995. "Estimating exchange market pressure and the degree of exchange market intervention for Canada," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 273-295, November.
- Weymark, Diana N, 1997. "Measuring the degree of exchange market intervention in a small open economy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 55-79, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:rpaper:57. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.