Impact of Cross-listing on Local Stock Returns: Case of Russian ADRs
The paper examines the impact of American Depositary Receipt (ADR) listings on the return of the underlying Russian stocks. The contribution of this paper is twofold. First, it looks at a new sample of ADRs issued by Russian companies. Second, the technique used to estimate the market model is different from the previous studies. The returns are modeled to follow GARCH process, as opposed to the regular OLS procedure, which assumes homoscedasticity in residual returns. Average abnormal returns and cumulative average abnormal returns are calculated for the [-25, +25] event window, with the ADR listing date being the event date. The results indicate a significant negative abnormal local market return on an ADR listing day. The return volatilities after the listing are compared to those before the listing. Eleven out of sixteen companies experienced increased volatility of local returns after the cross-listing.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109|
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lau, Sie Ting & Diltz, J. David & Apilado, Vincent P., 1994. "Valuation effects of international stock exchange listings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 743-755, September.
- Lieberman, Offer & Ben-Zion, Uri & Hauser, Shmuel, 1999. "A characterization of the price behavior of international dual stocks: an error correction approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 289-304, February.
- Doidge, Craig & Karolyi, G. Andrew & Stulz, Rene M., 2004.
"Why are foreign firms listed in the U.S. worth more?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 205-238, February.
- Craig Doidge & G. Andrew Karolyi & Rene M. Stulz, 2001. "Why are Foreign Firms Listed in the U.S. Worth More?," NBER Working Papers 8538, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hargis, Kent & Ramanlal, Pradipkumar, 1998. "When Does Internationalization Enhance the Development of Domestic Stock Markets?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 263-292, July.
- Miller, Darius P., 1999. "The market reaction to international cross-listings:: evidence from Depositary Receipts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 103-123, January.
- Dodd, Peter & Warner, Jerold B., 1983. "On corporate governance : A study of proxy contests," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 401-438, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2004-691. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.