Employer Size Effects in Russia
As early as 1911, Henry L. Moore documented that the wages of female textile workers in Italy were higher in larger establishments. In the last thirty years a large number of studies have demonstrated the presence of employer size-wage effects (at both the plant and firm level) in numerous different countries and across different time periods. This paper analyzes the labor market effects of employer size in Russia during the years 1994-98. Using the Russian Longitudinal Monitoring Survey, a four year nationally representative panel of the Russian population, I investigate the relationship between enterprise size and the characteristics of employees, wage levels and wage growth, on-the-job training, tenure and turnover. My findings indicate that employer size effects in Russia exhibit similar characteristics to those observed in the U.S. and a variety of other countries.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109|
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abowd, J.M. & Kramarz, F. & Margolis, D.N., 1995.
"High-Wage Workers and High-Wage Firms,"
Cahiers de recherche
9503, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Abowd, J.M. & Kramarz, F. & Margolis, D.N., 1995. "High-Wage Workers and High-Wage Firms," Cahiers de recherche 9503, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & David Margolis, 1999. "High Wage Workers and High Wage Firms," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00353892, HAL.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & David N. Margolis, 1994. "High-Wage Workers and High-Wage Firms," CIRANO Working Papers 94s-23, CIRANO.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & David N. Margolis, 1994. "High Wage Workers and High Wage Firms," NBER Working Papers 4917, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Margolis, 1995. "High Wage Workers and High Wage Firms," Post-Print halshs-00378229, HAL.
- Svejnar, Jan, 1999. "Labor markets in the transitional Central and East European economies," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 42, pages 2809-2857 Elsevier.
- Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, 1995. "Does layoff risk explain the firm-size wage differential?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(7), pages 211-214.
- Brown, Charles & Medoff, James, 1989.
"The Employer Size-Wage Effect,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(5), pages 1027-59, October.
- Velenchik, Ann D., 1997.
"Government intervention, efficiency wages, and the employer size wage effect in Zimbabwe,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 305-338, August.
- Velenchik, A.D., 1995. "Government Intervention, Efficiency Wages, and the Employer-Size Wage Effects in Zimbabwe," Papers 95-09, Wellesley College - Department of Economics.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- Francis Teal, 1995.
"The size and sources of economic rents in a developing country manufacturing labour market,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1995-06, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Teal, Francis, 1996. "The Size and sources of economic rents in a developing country manufacturing labour market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 963-76, July.
- Wayne Simpson, 1984. "An Econometric Analysis of Industrial Training in Canada," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 19(4), pages 435-451.
- Main, Brian G M & Reilly, Barry, 1993. "The Employer Size-Wage Gap: Evidence for Britain," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(238), pages 125-42, May.
- Hartmut Lehmann & Jonathon Wadsworth & Alessandro Acquisti, 1997. "Grime and Punishment: Employment, Wages and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 103, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Hashimoto, Masanori & Raisian, John, 1985. "Employment Tenure and Earnings Profiles in Japan and the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 721-35, September.
- Pearce, James E, 1990. "Tenure, Unions, and the Relationship between Employer Size and Wages," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(2), pages 251-69, April.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Oi, Walter Y. & Idson, Todd L., 1999. "Firm size and wages," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 33, pages 2165-2214 Elsevier.
- Edin, Per-Anders & Zetterberg, Johnny, 1992. "Interindustry Wage Differentials: Evidence from Sweden and a Comparison with the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1341-49, December.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence Katz, 1992.
"Does Unmeasured Ability Explain Inter-Industry Wage Differentials?,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 59(3), pages 515-535.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence F. Katz, 1989. "Does Unmeasured Ability Explain Inter-Industry Wage Differentials?," NBER Working Papers 3182, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alphonse G. Holtmann & Todd L. Idson, 1995. "Information, Employer Size, Training, and Wage Growth," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 21(2), pages 187-196, Spring.
- Barron, John M & Black, Dan A & Loewenstein, Mark A, 1987. "Employer Size: The Implications for Search, Training, Capital Investment, Starting Wages, and Wage Growth," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(1), pages 76-89, January.
- Schmidt, Christoph M & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1991. "Work Characteristics, Firm Size and Wages," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 705-10, November.
- Idson, Todd L, 1989. "Establishment Size Differentials in Internal Mobility," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 721-24, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2000-300. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.