Fiscal policy in Colombia : tapping its potential for a more equitable society
Colombia has the seventh highest Gini coefficient of income inequality in the world. The Santos Administration is aware of this challenge and is taking important measures to reduce disparities. The government is also aspiring to join the OECD, which exhibits much lower income disparities, mainly as a result of effective policies of fiscal redistribution. In Colombia, meanwhile, direct taxes, indirect taxes, and monetary transfers hardly dent the high Gini coefficient. To reduce income inequality, Colombian policy makers could consider introducing a more progressive tax-transfer system. This paper ranks alternative inequality-reducing fiscal policy options based on their effectiveness. It argues that there are potentially important redistributive potential gains available from tax reforms if combined with good spending decisions. It presents an illustrative reform package that would be sufficient for Colombia to reach levels of inequality similar to Chile or Costa Rica in a fiscally neutral manner. Nonetheless, further analysis is needed to explore all available policy options and identify those best suited for Colombia.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- World Bank, . "On the Edge of Uncertainty : Poverty Reduction in Latin America and the Caribbean during the Great Recession and Beyond," World Bank Other Operational Studies 17196, The World Bank.
- Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler, 2003.
"The labor market effects of payroll taxes in a middle-income country: Evidence from Colombia,"
Economics Working Papers
721, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Kugler, Adriana & Kugler, Maurice, 2003. "The labor market effects of payroll taxes in a middle-income country: evidence from Colombia," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0306, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Kugler, Adriana D. & Kugler, Maurice, 2003. "The Labour Market Effects of Payroll Taxes in a Middle-Income Country: Evidence from Colombia," CEPR Discussion Papers 4046, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kugler, Adriana & Kugler, Maurice, 2003. "The Labor Market Effects of Payroll Taxes in a Middle-Income Country: Evidence from Colombia," IZA Discussion Papers 852, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chris Heady, 1993. "Optimal taxation as a guide to tax policy: a survey," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 15-41, February.
- Sergei Soares & Rafael Guerreiro Osório & Fábio Veras Soares & Marcelo Medeiros & Eduardo Zepeda, 2009.
"Conditional cash transfers in Brazil, Chile and Mexico: impacts upon inequality,"
El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 0(Special i), pages 207-224.
- Sergei Suarez Dillon Soares & Rafael Guerreiro Osório & Fabio Veras Soares & Marcelo Medeiros & Eduardo Zepeda, 2007. "Conditional Cash Transfers in Brazil, Chile and Mexico: Impacts upon Inequality," Working Papers 35, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Cuesta, Jose & Olivera, Mauricio, 2010. "Social security distortions onto the labor market: estimates for Colombia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5390, The World Bank.
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia, 2010.
"Income Distribution under Latin America's New Left Regimes,"
Journal of Human Development and Capabilities,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 85-114.
- Giovanni Andrea cornia, 2009. "Income Distribution under Latin America’s New Left Regimes," Working Papers - Economics wp2009_16.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Ligia Alba Melo B. & Jorge Enrique Ramos F., .
"Algunos aspectos fiscales y financieros del sistema de salud en Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
624, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ligia Alba Melo B. & Jorge Enrique Ramos F,, 2010. "Algunos aspectos fiscales y financieros del sistema de salud en Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 007620, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6092. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.