On the Distributional Implications of Social Protection Reforms in Latin America
The paper tracks recent changes in the components of social protection in Latin America, the reforms to social insurance in the 1990s and the growth of social assistance in the 2000s, and assesses their effects on poverty and inequality and implications for welfare institutions in the region. The analysis focuses on public subsidies to social protection and their rebalancing. The paper concludes that the expansion of social assistance in the region will result in social protection institutions which are more comprehensive and distributionally progressive.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki|
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helena Ribe & David A. Robalino & Ian Walker, 2010. "Achieving Effective Social Protection for All in Latin America and the Caribbean : From Right to Reality," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2479.
- Nancy Birdsall, Nora Lustig, and Darryl McLeod, 2011. "Declining Inequality in Latin America: Some Economics, Some Politics - Working Paper 251," Working Papers 251, Center for Global Development.
- Breceda, Karla & Rigolini, Jamele & Saavedra, Jaime, 2008.
"Latin America and the social contract : patterns of social spending and taxation,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4604, The World Bank.
- Karla Breceda & Jamele Rigolini & Jaime Saavedra, 2009. "Latin America and the Social Contract: Patterns of Social Spending and Taxation," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 35(4), pages 721-748.
- Rodrigo Cubero & Ivanna Vladkova Hollar, 2010. "Equity and Fiscal Policy; The Income Distribution Effects of Taxation and Social Spending in Central America," IMF Working Papers 10/112, International Monetary Fund.
- Bertranou, Fabio & Calvo, Esteban & Bertranou, Evelina, 2009.
"Is Latin America retreating from individual retirement accounts?,"
17422, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabio Bertranou & Esteban Calvo & Evelina Bertranou, 2009. "Is Latin America Retreating From Individual Retirement Accounts?," Issues in Brief ib2009-9-14, Center for Retirement Research, revised Jul 2009.
- Ferreira , Francisco H.G. & Robalino, David, 2010. "Social protection in Latin America : achievements and limitations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5305, The World Bank.
- Sergei Soares & Rafael Guerreiro Osório & Fábio Veras Soares & Marcelo Medeiros & Eduardo Zepeda, 2009.
"Conditional cash transfers in Brazil, Chile and Mexico: impacts upon inequality,"
El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 0(Special i), pages 207-224.
- Sergei Suarez Dillon Soares & Rafael Guerreiro Osório & Fabio Veras Soares & Marcelo Medeiros & Eduardo Zepeda, 2007. "Conditional Cash Transfers in Brazil, Chile and Mexico: Impacts upon Inequality," Working Papers 35, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia, 2010.
"Income Distribution under Latin America's New Left Regimes,"
Journal of Human Development and Capabilities,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 85-114.
- Giovanni Andrea cornia, 2009. "Income Distribution under Latin America’s New Left Regimes," Working Papers - Economics wp2009_16.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1987. "Should Social Security Benefits Be Means Tested?," Scholarly Articles 2770498, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Barreix & Jerónimo Roca & Luiz Villela, 2007. "Fiscal policy and equity estimation of the progressivity and redistributive capacity of taxes and social public expenditure in the Andean countries," INTAL Working Papers 1466, Inter-American Development Bank, INTAL.
- Gough,Ian & Wood,Geof & Barrientos,Armando & Bevan,Philippa & Davis,Peter & Room,Graham, 2004. "Insecurity and Welfare Regimes in Asia, Africa and Latin America," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521834193, September.
- Mario Marcel & Waldo Tapia Troncoso, 2010. "Efectos de la Crisis Financiera sobre los Sistemas de pensiones en América Latina," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 9404, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Fabio Veras Soares & Sergei Suarez Dillon Soares & Marcelo Medeiros & Rafael Guerreiro Osório, 2006. "Cash Transfer Programmes in Brazil: Impacts on Inequality and Poverty," Working Papers 21, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:wp2011-69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.