Home high above and home deep down below -- lending in Hungary
In Hungary in the pre-crisis period, the bank sector-initiated private credit boom significantly contributed to the accumulation of economic imbalances. Nevertheless, before the 2008 crisis no special regulatory measure was taken to mitigate the foreign exchange lending to unhedged borrowers, which was a main moving force of the credit boom. Depreciation of forint-denominated subsidized housing loans and the increased risk premium significantly deteriorated customers'positions and resulted in rocketing nonperforming loans. A recession, deteriorating portfolios, and lack of efficient workout. The introduction of strict regulation froze banking activity and the danger of recovery without lending emerged. This paper compares the pre- and post-crisis lending activity and analyzes the lack of regulation in the pre-crisis period and the inefficient regulation in the post-crisis period.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ceyla Pazarbasioglu & Gudrun Johnsen & Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers & Inci Ã–tker, 2005. "Assessing and Managing Rapid Credit Growth and the Role of Supervisory and Prudential Policies," IMF Working Papers 05/151, International Monetary Fund.
- de Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2010.
"Internal capital markets and lending by multinational bank subsidiaries,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-25, January.
- De Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2009. "Internal Capital Markets and Lending by Multinational Bank Subsidiaries," MPRA Paper 13164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2006. "Internal Capital Markets and Lending by Multinational Bank Subsidiaries," DNB Working Papers 101, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Sándor Sóvágó, 2011. "Identifying supply and demand in the Hungarian corporate loan market," MNB Occasional Papers 2011/94, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (Central Bank of Hungary).
- Basso, Henrique S. & Calvo-Gonzalez, Oscar & Jurgilas, Marius, 2007. "Financial dollarization: the role of banks and interest rates," Working Paper Series 0748, European Central Bank.
- Attila Csajbók & András Hudecz & Bálint Tamási, 2010. "Foreign currency borrowing of households in new EU member states," MNB Occasional Papers 2010/87, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (Central Bank of Hungary).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:5836. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.