OeNB Euro Survey: Growing Uncertainty, but Overall Euroization Not Affected
Based on descriptive evidence obtained from the latest OeNB Euro Survey, this contribution examines whether the widespread use of the euro among households in Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe (CESEE) has been affected by the ongoing sovereign debt crisis in the euro area. Although households’ confidence in the euro has decreased substantially in all CESEE countries, it is still stronger than confidence in the respective local currencies in all countries except the Czech Republic. Despite this loss of trust in the euro, the relative weight of euro cash in the total economy is still substantial in several Southeastern European countries. Aggregate data on the development of foreign currency deposits in total deposits provide a mixed picture across countries. The overall degree of euroization – comprising cash holdings and deposits – has remained surprisingly stable in CESEE over time and has hardly been affected by the crisis in the euro area. Interestingly, in some countries the relative contribution of foreign currency deposits to overall euroization has increased against precrisis levels, whereas euro cash holdings have lost in relative importance.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 61, A-1011 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7405
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7499
Web page: http://www.oenb.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basso, Henrique S. & Calvo-Gonzalez, Oscar & Jurgilas, Marius, 2007. "Financial dollarization: the role of banks and interest rates," Working Paper Series 0748, European Central Bank.
- Martin Brown & Steven Ongena & Pinar Yesin, 2009.
"Foreign Currency Borrowing by Small Firms,"
2009-02, Swiss National Bank.
- Neanidis, Kyriakos C. & Savva, Christos S., 2009.
"Financial dollarization: Short-run determinants in transition economies,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1860-1873, October.
- Kyriakos C. Neanidis & Christos S. Savva, 2009. "Financial Dollarization: Short-Run Determinants in Transition Economies," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 113, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Campos, Nauro F & Coricelli, Fabrizio, 2002.
"Growth in Transition: What we Know, What we Don't and What we Should,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3246, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nauro F. Campos & Abrizio Coricelli, 2002. "Growth in Transition: What We Know, What We Don't, and What We Should," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 793-836, September.
- Nauro F. Campos & Fabrizio Coricelli, 2002. "Growth in Transition: What We Know, What We Don't, and What We Should," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 470, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kyriakos C. Neanidis, 2010.
"Financial Dollarization and European Union Membership,"
Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series
143, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Kyriakos C. Neanidis, 2010. "Financial Dollarization and European Union Membership," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 257-282, 08.
- Kyriakos C. Neanidis, 2010. "Financial Dollarization and European Union Membership," CESifo Working Paper Series 3101, CESifo Group Munich.
- Attila Csajbók & András Hudecz & Bálint Tamási, 2010. "Foreign currency borrowing of households in new EU member states," MNB Occasional Papers 2010/87, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (Central Bank of Hungary).
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Mariya Hake & Helmut Stix, 2011.
"Households’ Foreign Currency Borrowing in Central and Eastern Europe,"
171, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Hake, Mariya & Stix, Helmut, 2013. "Households’ foreign currency borrowing in Central and Eastern Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1880-1897.
- Sandra Dvorsky & Thomas Scheiber & Helmut Stix, 2010. "Euro Survey of Spring 2010: Sovereign Debt Crisis Left Traces in CESEE Households' Sentiment, Foreign Currency Portfolios Broadly Unchanged," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 4, pages 78-89.
- Ize, Alain & Yeyati, Eduardo Levy, 2003. "Financial dollarization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 323-347, March.
- Adolfo Barajas & Armando MÃ©ndez Morales, 2003. "Dollarization of Liabilities; Beyond the Usual Suspects," IMF Working Papers 03/11, International Monetary Fund.
- Havranek, Tomas & Irsova, Zuzana, 2011. "Estimating vertical spillovers from FDI: Why results vary and what the true effect is," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 234-244.
- Markus Knell & Helmut Stix, 2005. "The Income Elasticity of Money Demand: A Meta-Analysis of Empirical Results ," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 513-533, 07.
- Alan B. Krueger, 2002.
"Economic Considerations and Class Size,"
NBER Working Papers
8875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J & Gordon, David B, 1983.
"A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural Rate Model,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 589-610, August.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1981. "A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural-Rate Model," NBER Working Papers 0807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- T. D. Stanley, 2001. "Wheat from Chaff: Meta-analysis as Quantitative Literature Review," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(3), pages 131-150, Summer.
- Elisabeth Beckmann & Thomas Scheiber & Helmut Stix, 2011. "How the Crisis Affected Foreign Currency Borrowing in CESEE: Microeconomic Evidence and Policy Implications," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 25-43,112-1.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Korhonen, Iikka, 2006.
"Meta-analysis of the business cycle correlation between the euro area and the CEECs,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 518-537, September.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Iikka Korhonen, 2006. "Meta-Analysis of the Business Cycle Correlation between the Euro Area and the CEECs," CESifo Working Paper Series 1693, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jeanne, Olivier, 2000. "Foreign currency debt and the global financial architecture," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 719-727, May.
- Brown, M. & Ongena, S. & Yesin, P., 2008. "Currency Denomination of Bank Loans : Evidence from Small Firms in Transition Countries," Discussion Paper 2008-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Luca, Alina & Petrova, Iva, 2008. "What drives credit dollarization in transition economies?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 858-869, May.
- Brown, M. & de Haas, R., 2010. "Foreign Currency Lending in Emerging Europe : Bank Level Evidence," Discussion Paper 2010-135, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:onb:oenbfi:y:2011:i:4:b:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Eller)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.