Broadening the offering choice of corporate bonds in emerging markets : cost-effective access to debt capital
The development of corporate bond markets has been constrained in many emerging economies, partly because the regulatory model is implicitly designed for stand-alone public offerings. Corporate bonds are intrinsically more suitable for non-retail investors than for retail investors. Nonetheless, the prevailing regulatory model puts an excessive emphasis on disclosure and investor protection as well as government oversight, regardless of targeted investors. Such a non-differentiating regulatory approach disconnects issuers from investors by considerably raising opportunity costs to issuers. Broadening the choice of offering methods would lower corporate bond issuance costs, thereby allowing more issuers to finance their investments with bond issues. Additional forms of offerings are traditional private placements, institutional offerings, and shelf registration facilitated by integrated disclosure.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roque B. Fernández & Sergio Pernice & Jorge M. Streb, 2007. "Determinants of the development of corporate bond markets in Argentina: One size does not fit all," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 348, Universidad del CEMA.
- repec:idb:brikps:59498 is not listed on IDEAS
- Berlin, Mitchell & Mester, Loretta J., 1992.
"Debt covenants and renegotiation,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 95-133, June.
- Mitchell Berlin & Loretta J. Mester, 1990. "Debt covenants and renegotiation," Working Papers 90-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Mitchell Berlin & Loretta J. Mester, 1992. "Debt covenants and renegotiation," Working Papers 92-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Peter Szilagyi & Jonathan Batten & Thomas Fetherston, 2003. "Disintermediation and the Development of Bond Markets in Emerging Europe," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 67-82.
- Allen, David S & Lamy, Robert E & Thompson, G Rodney, 1990. " The Shelf Registration of Debt and Self Selection Bias," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 275-287, March.
- Thomas Reininger & Franz Schardax & Martin Summer, 2002. "Financial System Transition in Central Europe: The First Decades," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 16 edited by Morten Balling, April.
- by Thomas Reininger & Franz Schardax & Martin Summer, 2002. "Financial System Transition in Central Europe: The First Decade," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Mark S. Carey & Stephen D. Prowse & John Rea & Gregory F. Udell, 1993. "The economics of the private placement market," Staff Studies 166, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Miles Livingston & Lei Zhou, 2002. "The Impact of Rule 144A Debt Offerings Upon Bond Yields and Underwriter Fees," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(4), Winter.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Blackwell, David W. & Marr, M. Wayne & Spivey, Michael F., 1990. "Shelf Registration and the Reduced Due Diligence Argument: Implications of the Underwriter Certification and the Implicit Insurance Hypotheses," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(02), pages 245-259, June.
- Amadou N Sy, 2007. "Local Currency Debt Markets in the West African Economic and Monetary Union," IMF Working Papers 07/256, International Monetary Fund.
- Kidwell, David S. & Marr, M. Wayne & Thompson, G. Rodney, 1984. "SEC Rule 415: The Ultimate Competitive Bid," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 183-195, June.
- Dennis Emerick & William White, 1992. "The Case For Private Placements: How Sophisticated Investors Add Value To Corporate Debt Issuers," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 5(3), pages 83-91.
- Susan Chaplinsky & Latha Ramchand, 2004. "The Impact of SEC Rule 144A on Corporate Debt Issuance by International Firms," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1073-1098, October.
- Friedman, Felice B. & Grose, Claire, 2006. "Promoting access to primary equity markets : a legal and regulatory approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3892, The World Bank.
- Pipat Luengnaruemitchai & Li L Ong, 2005. "An Anatomy of Corporate Bond Markets; Growing Pains and Knowledge Gains," IMF Working Papers 05/152, International Monetary Fund.
- Smith, Clifford Jr., 1986. "Investment banking and the capital acquisition process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 3-29.
- Simon H. Kwan & Willard T. Carleton, 1995. "The role of private placement debt issues in corporate finance," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 95-13, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- World Bank & International Monetory Fund, 2001. "Developing Government Bond Markets : A Handbook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13865, August.
- Augusto de la Torre & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2007. "Emerging Capital Markets and Globalization : The Latin American Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7187, August.
- Augusto de la Torre & Sergio Schmukler, 2007. "Emerging Capital Markets and Globalization: The Latin American Experience," IDB Publications (Books), Inter-American Development Bank, number 59498, February.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2001. "The changing shape of fixed income markets: a collection of studies by central bank economists," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 05, March.
- Blackwell, David W. & Kidwell, David S., 1988. "An investigation of cost differences between public sales and private placements of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 253-278, December.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Warner, Jerold B., 1979. "On financial contracting : An analysis of bond covenants," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 117-161, June.
- Guorong Jiang & Robert McCauley, 2004. "Asian local currency bond markets," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:4655. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.