Fiscal policy in low-income Africa
This paper reviews the literature and country experience on the macroeconomics of fiscal policy in low income Africa. Given the experience of the 70's and 80's, the ultimate focus of the discussion must be the interaction of fiscal policy with the challenges of stabilization and structural adjustment. Two dominant themes emerge for fiscal policy. The first is the importance of overall fiscal restraint as a precondition for success of stabilization and structural adjustment efforts. The second is the importance of improved public sector performance in delivering infrastructural services.
|Date of creation:||31 Jul 1988|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rudiger Dornbusch & Stanley Fischer, 1986. "Stopping Hyperinflations Past and Present," NBER Working Papers 1810, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tanzi, Vito, 1982. "Fiscal disequilibrium in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(12), pages 1069-1082, December.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & de Melo, Jaime, 1987. "Evaluating participation in African monetary unions: A statistical analysis of the CFA Zones," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 483-496, April.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1982. "Consumption opportunities and the real value of the external debt," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 93-101, February.
- Lal, Deepak, 1987. "The Political Economy of Economic Liberalization," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 1(2), pages 273-299, January.
- Wheeler, David, 1984. "Sources of stagnation in sub-Saharan Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Rudiger Dornbusch & Stanley Fischer, 1986. "Stopping hyperinflations past and present," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 122(1), pages 1-47, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.