Devaluation Controversies in the Developing Countries: Lessons From the Bretton Woods Era
This paper uses historical data from the Bretton Woods era to analyze the effectiveness of devaluation-based adjustment programs in the developing countries. Forty eight major devaluations undertaken between 1954 and 1971 are investigated in detail in an effort to understand the circumstances leading to these adjustment programs, as well as their degree of effectiveness. An important aspect of the analysis is the distinction between devaluations undertaken within the context of IMF programs, and devaluations implemented independently. We find out that, in general, countries with lower income per capita and deeper economic problems tended to seek IMF support with greater frequency. Also, our analysis indicates that countries with left-wing leaning governments were less likely to embark on IMF programs. With respect to the effectiveness of these devaluation programs, our findings support the notion that devaluations accompanied by restrictive and consistent macroeconomic policies are an efficient and powerful adjustment tool. Our historical investigation also shows that, in general, countries that embarked on IMF stand-by programs tended to perform better than countries that adjusted on their own.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1992|
|Publication status:||published as Retrospecive on the Bretton Woods System Eds. Michael Bordo and Barry Eichengreen UCP 1993|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1989. "Developing Country Debt and the World Economy," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number sach89-3.
- Edwards, Sebastian & Tabellini, Guido, 1991.
"Explaining fiscal policies and inflation in developing countries,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 10(1, Supple), pages 16-48, March.
- Sebastian Edwards & Guido Tabellini, 1990. "Explaining Fiscal Policies and Inflation in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 3493, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alex Cukierman & Sebastian Edwards & Guido Tabellini, 1989.
"Seigniorage and Political Instability,"
NBER Working Papers
3199, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen, 1990.
"Relaxing the External Constraint: Europe in the 1930s,"
NBER Working Papers
3410, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1990. "Relaxing the External Constraint: europe in the 1930s," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt45x5d198, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1990. "Relaxing the External Constraint: Europe in the 1930s," CEPR Discussion Papers 452, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barry Eichengreen., 1990. "Relaxing the External Constraint: Europe in the 1930s," Economics Working Papers 90-147, University of California at Berkeley.
- Buira, Ariel, 1983. "IMF financial programs and conditionality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 111-136.
- Rudiger Dornbusch & Stanley Fischer, 1986.
"Stopping Hyperinflations Past and Present,"
NBER Working Papers
1810, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rudiger Dornbusch & Stanley Fischer, 1986. "Stopping hyperinflations past and present," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 122(1), pages 1-47, March.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1991.
"Credibility and Stabilization,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 106(3), pages 837-850.
- Summers, Robert & Heston, Alan, 1988. "A New Set of International Comparisons of Real Product and Price Levels Estimates for 130 Countries, 1950-1985," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 34(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1989. "Developing Country Debt and Economic Performance. The International Financial System," NBER Chapters, in: Developing Country Debt and Economic Performance, Volume 1: The International Financial System, pages -12 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter J Montiel & Bijan B. Aghevli & Mohsin S. Khan, 1991. "Exchange Rate Policy in Developing Countries; Some Analytical Issues," IMF Occasional Papers 78, International Monetary Fund.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1989. "Introduction to "Developing Country Debt and the World Economy"," NBER Chapters, in: Developing Country Debt and the World Economy, pages 1-34 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:4047. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.