The price of inconvertible deposits - the stock market boom during the Argentine crisis
The Argentine crisis witnessed, among other things, a deposit run, the suspension of deposit convertibility, and a"boom"in the stock market. The authors argue that this boom reflects the cost that depositors were willing to incur to get their money out of the banking system, in light of the impending risks. This boom was generalized to all stocks, and more pronounced in liquid stocks. Furthermore, the boom was a symptom that deposits were effectively restricted, and that investors were not able to circumvent capital controls.
|Date of creation:||31 Oct 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ross Levine & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2003.
"Migration, Spillovers,and Trade Diversion: The Impact of Internationalization on Stock Market Liquidity,"
NBER Working Papers
9614, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levine, Ross & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2003. "Migration, spillovers, and trade diversion : the impact of internationalization on stock market liquidity," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3046, The World Bank.
- Melvin, Michael, 2003.
"A stock market boom during a financial crisis?: ADRs and capital outflows in Argentina,"
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 129-136, October.
- Michael Melvin, . "A Stock Market Boom During a Financial Crisis? ADRs and capital outflows in Argentina," Working Papers 2133524, Department of Economics, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University.
- Augusto de la Torre & Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2003.
"Living and Dying with Hard Pegs: The Rise and Fall of Argentina's Currency Board,"
ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION,
ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- De la Torre, Augusto & Levy Yeyati, Eduardo & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2003. "Living and dying with hard pegs : the rise and fall of Argentina's currency board," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2980, The World Bank.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Augusto de la Torre & Sergio Schmukler, 2003. "Living and Dying with Hard Pegs: The Rise and Fall of Argentina´s Currency Board," Business School Working Papers catorce, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Alaganar, V. T. & Bhar, Ramaprasad, 2001. "Diversification gains from American depositary receipts and foreign equities: evidence from Australian stocks," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 97-113, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:3146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.