Teachers'incentives and professional development in schools in Mexico
The quality of education is a determining factor in a nation's competitiveness. To compete globally, Mexico needs to raise its education standards. Several innovations to raise the quality of basic education at the federal and state levels have been developed: professional training of teachers, new"learning presence in schools,"and improvement of working conditions and salaries of teachers. The author examines teachers'incentives and their impact on students'learning achievement. She shows that early in their professional lives, teachers in basic public schools are better paid than in other comparable groups. She also finds that some incentives for teachers at the school level improve learning achievement. For instance, the enrollment of teachers in the Carrera Magisterial program has a positive effect on students'learning achievement. Furthermore, teachers'training is most effective when targeted toward increasing their practical experience and developing content-specific knowledge.
|Date of creation:||28 Feb 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederick Flyer & Sherwin Rosen, 1994.
"The New Economics of Teachers and Education,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
94, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Flyer, F. & Rosen, S., 1994. "The New Economics of Teachers and Education," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 94-1, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Frederick Flyer & Sherwin Rosen, 1994. "The New Economics of Teachers and Education," NBER Working Papers 4828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Figlio, David N., 1997. "Teacher salaries and teacher quality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 267-271, August.
- Psacharopoulos, George & Valenzuela, Jorge & Arends, Mary, 1996. "Teacher salaries in Latin America: A review," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 401-406, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:2777. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.