Banking on the poor? Branch placement and nonfarm rural development in Bangladesh
The authors assess whether the placement of bank branches in Bangladesh responds to unexploited potential for nonfarm rural development. They compare the branch location choicesof a large new private nonprofit bank, the famous Grameen Bank, with those of more traditional government banks. They allow for heterogeneity in household characteristics conducive to success in nonfarm activities when measuring the potential gains from switching out of farming. Farmers are both poor and poorly equipped for success at nonfarm enterprises. Even so, seemingly feasible, but unrealized gains from switching are evident. Grameen Bank is attracted to areas where those gains favor the poor. Other banks put more weight on potential gains to nonpoor.
|Date of creation:||31 Dec 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ayal Kimhi, 1996. "Demographic composition of farm households and its effect on time allocation," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 9(4), pages 429-439.
- Kimhi, Ayal, 1996. "Demographic Composition of Farm Households and Its Effect on Time Allocation," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 9(4), pages 429-439, November.
- Khandker, S.R. & Khalily, B. & Khan, Z., 1995. "Grameen Bank: Performance and Sustainability," World Bank - Discussion Papers 306, World Bank.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-766, May.
- Hoff, Karla & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1990. "Imperfect Information and Rural Credit Markets--Puzzles and Policy Perspectives," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 235-250, September.
- Besley, Timothy, 1995.
"Savings, credit and insurance,"
Handbook of Development Economics,
in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 36, pages 2123-2207
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:1858. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.