Concentration of economic activity: Inequality-based measures
This paper reflects about the invariance property that regional economics is implicitly assuming when “relative” inequality measures, such as the Gini index, are used to quantify the geographic concentration of economic activity. In addition, it proposes a new concentration measure that is based on an “absolute” inequality index. The properties of this variance-type index are analyzed. An “absolute” employment Lorenz curve is also proposed to measure concentration, the dominance criterion of which is consistent with this new index. Finally, the usefulness of the new measures is illustrated by using manufacturing employment data in Spain.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus de Lagoas Marcosende, s/n, 36200 VIGO|
Phone: 986 - 812500
Fax: 986 - 812401
Web page: http://webx06.webs.uvigo.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haaland, Jan I. & Kind, Hans Jarle & Ulltveit-Moe, Karen-Helene, 1999.
"What Determines the Economic Geography of Europe?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2072, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joeri Gorter & Albert van der Horst & S. Brakman & H.F.L. Garretsen & M. Schram, 2005.
"New economic geography, empirics, and regional policy,"
CPB Special Publication
56, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Joeri Gorter & Albert Van der Horst, 2005. "New Economic Geography, Empirics, and Regional Policy," ERSA conference papers ersa05p236, European Regional Science Association.
- Eleonora Cutrini, 2010. "Specialization and Concentration from a Twofold Geographical Perspective: Evidence from Europe," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(3), pages 315-336.
- Ana Muñiz & Antonio Raya & Carmen Carvajal, 2010. "Spanish and European innovation diffusion: a structural hole approach in the input–output field," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 44(1), pages 147-165, February.
- Olga Alonso-Villar & Coral del Río, 2009. "Geographic Concentration of Economic Activity: An aggregate index," Working Papers 0901, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Olga Alonso-Villar, 2009. "Measuring geographic concentration: Lorenz curves and their decompositions," Working Papers 0902, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Bickenbach, Frank & Bode, Eckhardt, 2006.
"Disproportionality measures of concentration, specialization, and polarization,"
Kiel Working Papers
1276, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Frank Bickenbach & Eckhardt Bode, 2006. "Disproportionality Measures of Concentration, Specialization, and Polarization," Kiel Working Papers 1276, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Karl Aiginger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2004. "The Single Market and Geographic Concentration in Europe," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 1-11, 02.
- Suedekum, Jens, 2004.
"Concentration and Specialisation Trends in Germany since Reunification,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
285, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Jens Suedekum, 2006. "Concentration and Specialization Trends in Germany since Re-unification," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(8), pages 861-873.
- Alonso-Villar, Olga & del Río, Coral, 2010.
"Local versus overall segregation measures,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 30-38, July.
- Cutrini, Eleonora, 2009. "Using entropy measures to disentangle regional from national localization patterns," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 243-250, March.
- Paulo Guimarães & Octávio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2007. "Measuring The Localization Of Economic Activity: A Parametric Approach," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 753-774.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vig:wpaper:1006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia González Piñeiro)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.