The simplicity of optimal trading in order book markets
A trader's execution strategy has a large effect on his profits. Identifying an optimal strategy, however, is often frustrated by the complexity of market microstructure's. We analyse an order book based continuous double auction market under two different models of trader's behaviour. In the first case actions only depend on a linear combination of the best bid and ask. In the second model traders adopt the Markov perfect equilibrium strategies of the trading game. Both models are analytically intractable and so optimal strategies are identified by the use of numerical techniques. Using the Markov model we show that, beyond the best quotes, additional information has little effect on either the behaviour of traders or the dynamics of the market. The remarkable similarity of the results obtained by the linear model indicates that the optimal strategy may be reasonably approximated by a linear function. We conclude that whilst the order book market and strategy space of traders are potentially very large and complex, optimal strategies may be relatively simple and based on a minimal information set.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cannaregio, S. Giobbe no 873 , 30121 Venezia|
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economia
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parlour, Christine A, 1998. "Price Dynamics in Limit Order Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(4), pages 789-816.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He & Paolo Pellizzari, 2009.
"A Dynamic Analysis of the Microstructure of Moving Average Rules in a Double Auction Market,"
Research Paper Series
251, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Chiarella, Carl & He, Xue-Zhong & Pellizzari, Paolo, 2012. "A Dynamic Analysis Of The Microstructure Of Moving Average Rules In A Double Auction Market," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 556-575, September.
- Ioanid Rosu, 2009. "A Dynamic Model of the Limit Order Book," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(11), pages 4601-4641, November.
- Chiarella, Carl & Iori, Giulia, 2009.
"The impact of heterogeneous trading rules on the limit order book and order flows,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 525-537.
- Chiarella, C. & Iori, G. & Perello, J., 2008. "The Impact of Heterogeneous Trading Rules on the Limit Order Book and Order Flows," Working Papers 08/04, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Carl Chiarella & Giulia Iori & Josep Perello, 2007. "The Impact of Heterogeneous Trading Rules on the Limit Order Book and Order Flows," Papers 0711.3581, arXiv.org.
- Carl Chiarella & Giulia Iori, 2005. "The Impact of Heterogeneous Trading Rules on the Limit Order Book and Order Flows," Research Paper Series 152, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Paolo Pellizzari, 2011. "Optimal trading in a limit order book using linear strategies," Working Papers 2011_16, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari", revised Sep 2011.
- Dan Ladley & Klaus Reiner Schenk-Hoppe, 2007.
"Do Stylised Facts of Order Book Markets Need Strategic Behaviour?,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
07-20, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Ladley, Dan & Schenk-Hoppé, Klaus Reiner, 2009. "Do stylised facts of order book markets need strategic behaviour?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 817-831, April.
- Gode, Dhananjay K & Sunder, Shyam, 1993. "Allocative Efficiency of Markets with Zero-Intelligence Traders: Market as a Partial Substitute for Individual Rationality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(1), pages 119-37, February.
- Ronald L. Goettler & Christine A. Parlour & Uday Rajan, 2005. "Equilibrium in a Dynamic Limit Order Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2149-2192, October.
- Pakes, Ariel & McGuire, Paul, 2001. "Stochastic Algorithms, Symmetric Markov Perfect Equilibrium, and the 'Curse' of Dimensionality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(5), pages 1261-81, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ven:wpaper:2014:05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Ludbrook)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.