Interacting Two-Country Business Fluctuations
In this paper we investigate the closed-economy Keynes-Wicksell-Goodwin model of Chiarella and Flaschel (2000) for the case of two interacting open economies. We introduce these coupled two-country KWG dynamics on the extensive form level by means of a subdivision into nine modules describing the behavioral equations, the laws of motion and the identities or budget equations of the model. We then derive their intensive form representation and the 10 laws of motions of the model on the basis of certain simplifying asumptions. Thereafter we present the uniquely determined steady state solution of the dynamics and discuss in a mathematically informal way its stability properties, concerning asymptotic stability and loss of stability by way of super- or subcritical Hopf-bifurcations. In a final section we explore numerically a variety of situations of interacting real and financial cycles, where the steady state is locally repelling, but where the overall dynamics are bounded in an economically meaningful domain by means of a kinked money wage Phillips curve, exhibiting downward rigidity of the money-wage, coupled with upward flexibility of the usual type.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as: Asada, T., Chiarella, C., Flaschel, P. and FRanke, R., 2007, "Interacting Two-Country Business Fluctuations: Euroland and the USA", In: Growth and Cycle in the Eurozone, 109-118.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia|
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.uts.edu.au/about/uts-business-school/finance
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiarella, Carl, 1990. "Excessive exchange rate variability : A possible explanation using nonlinear economic dynamics," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 315-352, December.
- Greenwood, J. & Williamson, S.D., 1989.
"International Financial Intermediation And Aggregate Fluctuations Under Alternative Exchange Rate Regimes,"
University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers
8902c, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Williamson, Stephen D., 1989. "International financial intermediation and aggregate fluctuations under alternative exchange rate regimes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 401-431, May.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Stephen D. Williamson, 1988. "International financial intermediation and aggregate fluctuations under alternative exchange rate regimes," Staff Report 112, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Greenwood, J. & Williamson, S.D., 1988. "International Financial Intermediation And Aggregate Fluctuations Under Alternative Exchange Rate Regimes," RCER Working Papers 120, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Gerlach, H M Stefan, 1988. "World Business Cycles under Fixed and Flexible Exchange Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(4), pages 621-32, November.
- Chiarella, Carl & Flaschel, Peter, 1996. "Real and monetary cycles in models of Keynes-Wicksell type," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 327-351, September.
- Carl Chiarella, 1991. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy Under Nonlinear Exchange Rate Dynamics," Working Paper Series 6, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Baxter, M. & Stockman, A.C., 1988.
"Business Cycles And The Exchange Rate System: Some International Evidence,"
RCER Working Papers
140, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Marianne Baxter & Alan C. Stockman, 1988. "Business Cycles and the Exchange Rate System: Some International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 2689, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:wpaper:128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.