Tastes and Technology in a Two-Country Model of the Business Cycle: Explaining International Comovements
This paper studies the international transmission of business cycles by developing a two-country real business-cycle model and confronting it with a broad set of empirical observations. These observations include variances and covariances of output, labor, consumption, employment, and investment in traded and nontraded sectors of the economy, cross-country correlations of output and consumption, and correlations between quantities and relative prices. We find that technology shocks as measured by observed total factor productivity (by sector) must be supplemented by other sources of disturbances to explain certain features of the data. We call these other disturbances taste shocks, though they may stand in for some other shocks. In particular, it is difficult to explain the observed comovements of the relative price of nontraded to traded goods with the relative consumption of those goods without invoking something like taste shocks. Our model is roughly consistent with a broad set of observations, though puzzles emerge regarding the correlation of nontraded-sector output with its relative price and the variance of the balance of trade.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as American Economic Review, vol 85, no. 1, pp. 168-185, (March 1995)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- F. J.M. Meyer-zu-Schlochtern, 1988. "An International Sectoral Data Base for Thirteen OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 57, OECD Publishing.
- Heston, Alan & Summers, Robert, 1988. "What We Have Learned about Prices and Quantities from International Comparisons: 1987," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 467-73, May.
- Dellas, Harris, 1986. "A real model of the world business cycle," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 381-394, September.
- Baxter, M. & Crucini, M.J., 1990.
"Explaining Saving/Investment Correlation,"
RCER Working Papers
224, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Edward C. Prescott, 1986.
"Theory ahead of business cycle measurement,"
102, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Prescott, Edward C., 1986. "Theory ahead of business-cycle measurement," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 11-44, January.
- Edward C. Prescott, 1986. "Theory ahead of business cycle measurement," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 9-22.
- Ahmed, Shaghil & Ickes, Barry W. & Ping Wang & Byung Sam Yoo, 1993.
"International Business Cycles,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 335-59, June.
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979.
"Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1990.
"The International Comparison Program: Current Status and Problems,"
NBER Working Papers
3304, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1991. "The International Comparison Program: Current Status and Problems," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Transactions: Issues in Measurement and Empirical Research, pages 437-468 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stockman, Alan C, 1980.
"A Theory of Exchange Rate Determination,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(4), pages 673-98, August.
- Baxter, M. & Stockman, A.C., 1988.
"Business Cycles And The Exchange Rate System: Some International Evidence,"
RCER Working Papers
140, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Marianne Baxter & Alan C. Stockman, 1988. "Business Cycles and the Exchange Rate System: Some International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 2689, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-17, June.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1986. "The Assessment of National Price Levels," NBER Working Papers 1912, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Gerlach, H M Stefan, 1988. "World Business Cycles under Fixed and Flexible Exchange Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(4), pages 621-32, November.
- John Kennan, 1988. "Equilibrium Interpretations of Employment and Real Wage Fluctuations," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1988, Volume 3, pages 157-216 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benhabib, Jess & Rogerson, Richard & Wright, Randall, 1990. "Homework In Macroeconomics I: Basic Theory," Working Papers 90-17, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1982. "Interest rates and currency prices in a two-country world," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 335-359.
- King, Robert G. & Plosser, Charles I. & Rebelo, Sergio T., 1988. "Production, growth and business cycles : I. The basic neoclassical model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 195-232.
- Sven W. Arndt & J. David Richardson, 1987. "Real-Financial Linkages Among Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 2230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kravis, Irving B & Heston, Alan W & Summers, Robert, 1978. "Real GDP per Capita for More Than One Hundred Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(350), pages 215-42, June.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3566. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.