Credit Derivative Pricing with Stochastic Volatility Models
This paper proposes a framework for pricing credit derivatives within the defaultable Markovian HJM framework featuring unspanned stochastic volatility. Motivated by empirical evidence, hump-shaped level dependent stochastic volatility specifications are proposed, such that the model admits finite dimensional Markovian structures. The model also accommodates a correlation structure between the stochastic volatility, default-free interest rates and credit spreads. Default free and defaultable bonds are explicitly priced and an approach for pricing credit default swaps and swaptions is presented where the credit swap rates can be approximated by defaultable bond prices with varying maturities. A sensitivity analysis capturing the impact of the model parameters including correlations and stochastic volatility, on the credit swap rate and the value of the credit swaption is also presented.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.qfrc.uts.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li Chen & Damir Filipovic, 2003. "Credit Derivatives in an Affine Framework," Finance 0307002, EconWPA.
- Mascia Bedendo & Lara Cathcart & Lina El-Jahel, 2007. "The Slope Of The Term Structure Of Credit Spreads: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 30(2), pages 237-257.
- Carl Chiarella & Oh-Kang Kwon, 2000. "A Class of Heath-Jarrow-Morton Term Structure Models with Stochastic Volatility," Research Paper Series 34, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carl Chiarella & Samuel Chege Maina & Christina Nikitopoulos-Sklibosios, 2010. "Markovian Defaultable HJM Term Structure Models with Unspanned Stochastic Volatility," Research Paper Series 283, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carl Chiarella & Viviana Fanelli & Silvana Musti, 2009.
"Modelling the Evolution of Credit Spreads Using the Cox Process Within the HJM Framework A CDS Option Pricing Model,"
Research Paper Series
255, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Chiarella, Carl & Fanelli, Viviana & Musti, Silvana, 2011. "Modelling the evolution of credit spreads using the Cox process within the HJM framework: A CDS option pricing model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 208(2), pages 95-108, January.
- Carl Chiarella & Viviana Fanelli & Silvana Musti, 2008. "Modelling the Evolution of Credit Spreads using the Cox Process within the HUM Framework: A CDS Option Pricing Model," Research Paper Series 232, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Robert A. Jarrow, 2009. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 69-96, November.
- Chan, K C, et al, 1992.
" An Empirical Comparison of Alternative Models of the Short-Term Interest Rate,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1209-27, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate CKLS(1992) estimation of interest rate models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00035, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Philipp J. Schonbucher, 1997. "Team Structure Modelling of Defaultable Bonds," FMG Discussion Papers dp272, Financial Markets Group.
- Tomas Björk & Yuri Kabanov & Wolfgang Runggaldier, 1997. "Bond Market Structure in the Presence of Marked Point Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 211-239.
- Carl Chiarella & Oh Kwon, 2003. "Finite Dimensional Affine Realisations of HJM Models in Terms of Forward Rates and Yields," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 129-155, May.
- Carl Chiarella & Christina Nikitopoulos Sklibosios & Erik Schlögl, 2007.
"A Markovian Defaultable Term Structure Model With State Dependent Volatilities,"
International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(01), pages 155-202.
- Carl Chiarella & Erik Schlögl & Christina Nikitopoulos-Sklibosios, 2004. "A Markovian Defaultable Term Structure Model with State Dependent Volatilities," Research Paper Series 135, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Robert A. Jarrow, 2001. "Counterparty Risk and the Pricing of Defaultable Securities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(5), pages 1765-1799, October.
- Casassus, Jaime & Collin-Dufresne, Pierre & Goldstein, Bob, 2005. "Unspanned stochastic volatility and fixed income derivatives pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 2723-2749, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:rpaper:293. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.