Patterns of Collaborations between Regional Firms and Universities: Evidence from the Piedmont region in Italy
This paper explores the factors affecting firms’ decisions concerning whether to collaborate with universities in their region or elsewhere, and the level of investment in the collaboration. Building upon an original survey of a representative sample of firms in the Italian region of Piedmont, the paper examines the effect of firm and collaboration characteristics (including the type and diversity of each collaboration’s objectives) on the location of the university partners and on the investment in university-industry collaborations. We find that firms that are smaller, less engaged in international markets, less vertically integrated, and that engage in collaborations with universities in order to solve organizational problems, tend to collaborate more with regional universities. Firms tend to invest more in collaborations focused only on R&D activities with nearby universities, though the maximum amount spent in a collaboration was with a foreign university.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.unito.it/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonelli Cristiano, 2013.
"The economics of technological congruence,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers
201306, University of Turin.
- Antonelli,Cristiano, 2013. "The economics of technological congruence," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 201304, University of Turin.
- Anselin, Luc & Varga, Attila & Acs, Zoltan, 1997. "Local Geographic Spillovers between University Research and High Technology Innovations," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 422-448, November.
- Michael Fritsch & Viktor Slavtchev, 2007.
"Universities and Innovation in Space,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 201-218.
- Geuna Aldo & Bodas Freitas Isabel Maria & Rossi Federica, 2010. "The Governance of University-Industry Knowledge Transfer:Why small firms do (not) develop institutional collaborations?," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 201013, University of Turin.
- James D. Adams, 2001.
"Comparative Localization of Academic and Industrial Spillovers,"
NBER Working Papers
8292, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James D. Adams, 2002. "Comparative localization of academic and industrial spillovers," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(3), pages 253-278, July.
- Isabel Freitas & Tommy Clausen & Roberto Fontana & Bart Verspagen, 2011.
"Formal and informal external linkages and firms’ innovative strategies. A cross-country comparison,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 91-119, February.
- Isabel Maria Bodas Freitas & Tommy Clausen & Roberto Fontana & Bart Verspagen, 2008. "Formal and informal external linkages and firms' innovative strategies: A cross-country comparison," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20081113, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Bodas Freitas, Isabel Maria & Clausen, Tommy & Fontana, Roberto & Verspagen, Bart, 2008. "Formal and informal external linkages and firms' innovative strategies. A cross-country comparison," MERIT Working Papers 065, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Cooke, Philip & Gomez Uranga, Mikel & Etxebarria, Goio, 1997. "Regional innovation systems: Institutional and organisational dimensions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 475-491, December.
- Helen Lawton Smith, 2007. "Universities, innovation, and territorial development: a review of the evidence," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 25(1), pages 98-114, February.
- Franz Tödtling & Patrick Lehner & Alexander Kaufmann, 2008. "Do Different Types of Innovation Rely on Specific Kinds of Knowledge Interactions?," SRE-Disc sre-disc-2008_01, Institute for Multilevel Governance and Development, Department of Socioeconomics, Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Pablo D'Este & Simona Iammarino, 2010. "The spatial profile of university-business research partnerships," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(2), pages 335-350, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uto:labeco:201105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri)or (Marina Grazioli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.