The Governance of University-Industry Knowledge Transfer:Why small firms do (not) develop institutional collaborations?
This analysis is based on a representative sample of firms in the Italian region of Piedmont, and investigates the nature and intensity of collaborations between regional firms and universities in different locations. It contributes to the literature on university industry knowledge transfer in investigating institutional collaborations, typically mediated by the university through its administrative structures such as departments or dedicated units such as technology transfer offices, and contractual personal collaborations between firms and individual academics, involving formal and binding contractual agreements, but carried out without the direct involvement of the university.We explore and compare the characteristics of firms involved in these two different governance forms of knowledge transfer, with those of firms that do not collaborate with universities. Our analysis shows that firms that use contractual personal collaborations are generally smaller and more often interested in the acquisition of external embodied and disembodied knowledge and open innovation strategies.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.unito.it/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Isabel Freitas & Tommy Clausen & Roberto Fontana & Bart Verspagen, 2011.
"Formal and informal external linkages and firms’ innovative strategies. A cross-country comparison,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 91-119, February.
- Isabel Maria Bodas Freitas & Tommy Clausen & Roberto Fontana & Bart Verspagen, 2008. "Formal and informal external linkages and firms' innovative strategies. A cross-country comparison," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-01487470, HAL.
- Bodas Freitas, Isabel Maria & Clausen, Tommy & Fontana, Roberto & Verspagen, Bart, 2008. "Formal and informal external linkages and firms' innovative strategies. A cross-country comparison," MERIT Working Papers 065, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Isabel Maria Bodas Freitas & Tommy Clausen & Roberto Fontana & Bart Verspagen, 2008. "Formal and informal external linkages and firms' innovative strategies: A cross-country comparison," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20081113, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Pablo D'Este & Simona Iammarino, 2010. "The spatial profile of university-business research partnerships," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(2), pages 335-350, 06. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)