Interactive Learning and Behavioral Sunspots
This paper shows how to extend the adaptive learning approach to a truly behavioral uncertainty problem. It investigates the simplest case of a first order self-referential model where two agents have a non-negligible impact on aggregate expectations. Unlike the standard setting, agents are not boundedly rational in that they acknowledge their own influence on output and they are perfectly informed about the exogenous determinants of the economy. Nevertheless no common knowledge is assumed; agents are epistemically isolated and they can only have noisy perceptions of the other agent's simultaneous expectation. In order to have consistent forecasts, each agent has to learn how the other agent's expectations will affect the economy. I prove there exist two types of learnable equilibria: (a) a unique rational expectation equilibrium (REE) and (b) at least one behavioral sunspot equilibrium (BSE). The latter may arise because the learning dynamics can generate the self-fulfilling reciprocal belief that the other agent is irrationally exuberant. Finally, numerical simulations illustrate how an unpredictable switch from the REE to a BSE may occur endogenously when both coexist and are learnable.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.depfid.unisi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja & Noah Williams, 2005.
"Generalized Stochastic Gradient Learning,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2005-17, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 18 May 2008.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja & Noah Williams, 2005. "Generalized Stochastic Gradient Learning," CESifo Working Paper Series 1576, CESifo Group Munich.
- Evans, G.W. & Honkapohja ,S. & Williams, N., 2005. "Generalized Stochastic Gradient Learning," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0545, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja & Noah Williams, 2005. "Generalized Stochastic Gradient Learning," NBER Technical Working Papers 0317, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Branch, William A. & Evans, George W., 2006.
"Intrinsic heterogeneity in expectation formation,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 264-295, March.
- George Evans & William Branch, 2003. "Intrinsic Heterogeneity in Expectation Formation," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 312, Society for Computational Economics.
- Bill Branch & George W. Evans, 2003. "Intrinsic Heterogeneity in Expectation Formation," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2003-32, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 04 Oct 2004.
- Guesnerie, R., 1989.
"An Exploration of the Eductive Justifications of the Rational Expectations Hypotbesis,"
DELTA Working Papers
89-24, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1992. "An Exploration of the Eductive Justifications of the Rational-Expectations Hypothesis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1254-78, December.
- Kaushik Mitra & Seppo Honkapohja, 2004.
"Learning Stability in Economies with Heterogenous Agents,"
Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics
04/17, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Jul 2004.
- Seppo Honkapohja & Kaushik Mitra, 2006. "Learning Stability in Economies with Heterogeneous Agents," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 9(2), pages 284-309, April.
- Seppo Honkapohja & Kaushik Mitra, 2002. "Learning Stability in Economies with Heterogenous Agents," CESifo Working Paper Series 772, CESifo Group Munich.
- Honkapohja, Seppo & Mitra, Kaushik, 2002. "Learning stability in economics with heterogeneous agents," Working Paper Series 0120, European Central Bank.
- Roger Guesnerie, 2005. "Assessing Rational Expectations 2: "Eductive" Stability in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262072580, June.
- Chryssi Giannitsarou, 2003. "Heterogeneous Learning," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(4), pages 885-906, October.
- Berardi, Michele, 2007. "Heterogeneity and misspecifications in learning," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 3203-3227, October.
- Guse, Eran A., 2005. "Stability properties for learning with heterogeneous expectations and multiple equilibria," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 1623-1642, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usi:depfid:1008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo Zappia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.