The closer the sportier? Children's sport activity and their distance to sport facilities
We investigate whether the distance between the next sport facilities and children's homes matter for their sports activities inside and outside of sport clubs. Our analysis is based on a large and informative cross-section of individual data of children and their families, the so-called KIGGS data. We use a semiparametric econometric method to investigate this relationship empirically. Our results suggest that while the distance does not matter in larger towns and cities, it does matter in smaller towns and in particular on the countryside.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dufourstrasse 50, CH - 9000 St.Gallen|
Phone: +41 71 224 23 25
Fax: +41 71 224 31 35
Web page: http://www.seps.unisg.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Lechner, 2008.
"Long-Run Labour Market Effects of Individual Sports Activities,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
114, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Lechner, Michael, 2008. "Long-run Labour Market Effects of Individual Sports Activities," CEPR Discussion Papers 6886, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Lechner, 2008. "Long-run labour market effects of individual sports activities," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2008 2008-13, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Lechner, Michael, 2008. "Long-Run Labour Market Effects of Individual Sports Activities," IZA Discussion Papers 3559, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Darius Lakdawalla & Tomas Philipson, 2007. "Labor Supply and Weight," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 42(1).
- Brad R. Humphreys & Jane E. Ruseski, 2007. "Participation In Physical Activity And Government Spending On Parks And Recreation," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(4), pages 538-552, October.
- Gerd Ahlert, 2004. "Investive Sportförderung in der Bundesrepublik – Ökonomische Impulse eines öffentlich finanzierten Infrastrukturprogramms zur Sanierung und Modernisierung der Sportstätten," GWS Discussion Paper Series 04-2, GWS - Institute of Economic Structures Research.
- Inas Rashad, 2007. "Cycling: An Increasingly Untouched Source of Physical and Mental Health," NBER Working Papers 12929, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)