Smooth Regimes, Macroeconomic Variables, and Bagging for the Short-Term Interest Rate Process
In this paper we propose a smooth transition tree model for both the conditional mean and the conditional variance of the short-term interest rate process. Our model incorporates the interpretability of regression trees and the flexibility of smooth transition models to describe regime switches in the short-term interest rate series. The estimation of such models is addressed and the asymptotic properties of the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator are derived. Model specification is also discussed. When the model is applied to the US short-term interest rate we find (1) leading indicators for inflation and real activity are the most relevant predictors in characterizing the multiple regimes' structure; (2) the optimal model has three limiting regimes, with significantly different local conditional mean and variance dynamics. Moreover, we provide empirical evidence of the strong power of the model in forecasting the first two conditional moments of the short rate process, in particular when it is used in connection with bootstrap aggregating (bagging).
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dufourstrasse 50, CH - 9000 St.Gallen|
Phone: +41 71 224 23 25
Fax: +41 71 224 31 35
Web page: http://www.seps.unisg.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ang, Andrew & Piazzesi, Monika, 2003.
"A no-arbitrage vector autoregression of term structure dynamics with macroeconomic and latent variables,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 745-787, May.
- Andrew Ang & Monika Piazzesi, 2001. "A No-Arbitrage Vector Autoregression of Term Structure Dynamics with Macroeconomic and Latent Variables," NBER Working Papers 8363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ravi Bansal & Hao Zhou, 2002.
"Term Structure of Interest Rates with Regime Shifts,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 1997-2043, October.
- Ravi Bansal & Hao Zhou, 2001. "Term structure of interest rates with regime shifts," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-46, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- van Dijk, Dick & Teräsvirta, Timo & Franses, Philip Hans, 2000.
"Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models - A Survey of Recent Developments,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
380, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 17 Jan 2001.
- Dick van Dijk & Timo Terasvirta & Philip Hans Franses, 2002. "Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models — A Survey Of Recent Developments," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-47.
- van Dijk, D.J.C. & Terasvirta, T. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2000. "Smooth transition autoregressive models - A survey of recent developments," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2000-23/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Andrew Ang & Sen Dong, 2005.
"No-Arbitrage Taylor Rules,"
2005 Meeting Papers
22, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Eric Hillebrand & Marcelo Cunha Medeiros, 2007. "Forecasting realized volatility models:the benefits of bagging and nonlinear specifications," Textos para discussão 547, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2003.
"Asymptotic Theory For A Vector Arma-Garch Model,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 280-310, April.
- Ravi Bansal & George Tauchen & Hao Zhou, 2004.
"Regime Shifts, Risk Premiums in the Term Structure, and the Business Cycle,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 396-409, October.
- Ravi Bansal & George Tauchen & Hao Zhou, 2003. "Regime-shifts, risk premiums in the term structure, and the business cycle," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-21, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch & S. Boragan Aruoba, 2004.
"The Macroeconomy and the Yield Curve: A Dynamic Latent Factor Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
10616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Rudebusch, Glenn D. & Borag[caron]an Aruoba, S., 2006. "The macroeconomy and the yield curve: a dynamic latent factor approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 309-338.
- Audrino, Francesco, 2006. "Tree-Structured Multiple Regimes in Interest Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 338-353, July.
- Hansen, Peter Reinhard, 2005. "A Test for Superior Predictive Ability," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 365-380, October.
- Francesco Audrino & Enrico De Giorgi, 0.
"Beta Regimes for the Yield Curve,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 5(3), pages 456-490.
- da Rosa, Joel Correa & Veiga, Alvaro & Medeiros, Marcelo C., 2008. "Tree-structured smooth transition regression models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(5), pages 2469-2488, January.
- Marcelo C. Medeiros & Timo Terasvirta & Gianluigi Rech, 2002.
"Building Neural Network Models for Time Series: A Statistical Approach,"
Textos para discussão
461, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Timo Teräsvirta & Marcelo C. Medeiros & Gianluigi Rech, 2006. "Building neural network models for time series: a statistical approach," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(1), pages 49-75.
- Medeiros, Marcelo C. & Teräsvirta, Timo & Rech, Gianluigi, 2002. "Building neural network models for time series: A statistical approach," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 508, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Asbjørn T. Hansen & Rolf Poulsen, 2000. "A simple regime switching term structure model," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 409-429.
- Gray, Stephen F., 1996.
"Modeling the conditional distribution of interest rates as a regime-switching process,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 27-62, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Gray's 1996 Regime Switching GARCH paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00080, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:dp2008:2008-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joerg Baumberger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.