Benchmark Two-Good Utility Functions
Benchmark two-good utility functions involving a good with zero income elasticity and unit income elasticity are well known. This paper derives utility functions for the additional benchmark cases where one good has zero cross-price elasticity, unit own-price elasticity, and zero own price elasticity. It is shown how each of these utility functions arises from a simple graphical construction based on a single given indifference curve. Also, it is shown that possessors of such utility functions may be seen as thinking in a particular sense of their utility, and may be seen as using simple rules of thumb to determine their demand.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 80125, NL-3508 TC Utrecht|
Phone: +31 30 253 9800
Fax: +31 30 253 7373
Web page: http://www.uu.nl/EN/faculties/leg/organisation/schools/schoolofeconomicsuse/Pages/default.aspx
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xiangkang Yin, 2000.
"A tractable alternative to Cobb-Douglas utility for imperfect competition,"
2000.10, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Yin, Xiangkang, 2001. "A Tractable Alternative to Cobb-Douglas Utility for Imperfect Competition," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 14-21, March.
- Xiangkang Yin, 2000. "A tractable alternative to Cobb-Douglas utility for imperfect competition," Working Papers 2000.10, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Liebhafsky, H H, 1969. "New Thoughts About Inferior Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 931-34, December.
- Weber, Christian E, 2001. "A Production Function with an Inferior Input: Comment," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 69(6), pages 616-22, December.
- Epstein, Gil S & Spiegel, Uriel, 2000. "A Production Function with an Inferior Input," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 68(5), pages 503-15, September.
- Moffatt, Peter G., 2002. "Is Giffen behaviour compatible with the axioms of consumer theory?," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 259-267, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:use:tkiwps:0709. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marina Muilwijk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.