Small Cities Blues: Looking for Growth Factors in Small and Medium-Sized Cities
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- H. D. Watts & J. D. Kirkham, 1999. "Plant Closures by Multi-locational Firms: A Comparative Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(5), pages 413-424.
- Leon Shilton & Craig Stanley, 1999. "Spatial Patterns of Headquarters," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 17(3), pages 341-364.
- Glaeser, Edward L & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1992.
"Growth in Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1126-1152, December.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991. "Growth in Cities," NBER Working Papers 3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Kallal, Hedi D. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1992. "Growth in Cities," Scholarly Articles 3451309, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Sheila A Martin & Richard Mchugh & S R Johnson, 1991. "The Influence Of Location On Productivity: Manufacturing Technology In Rural And Urban Areas," Working Papers 91-10, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Robert W. Wassmer, 1994. "Can Local Incentives Alter a Metropolitan City's Economic Development?," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 31(8), pages 1251-1278, October.
- Xavier Gabaix, 1999. "Zipf's Law and the Growth of Cities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 129-132, May.
- Paul D. Gottlieb, 1995. "Residential Amenities, Firm Location and Economic Development," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 32(9), pages 1413-1436, November.
- Crihfield John B. & Panggabean Martin P. H., 1995. "Growth and Convergence in U.S. Cities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 138-165, September.
- Michael E. Porter, 2000. "Location, Competition, and Economic Development: Local Clusters in a Global Economy," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 14(1), pages 15-34, February.
- Sheila A. Martin & Richard McHugh & Stanley R. Johnson, 1991. "Influence of Location on Productivity: Manufacturing Technology in Rural and Urban Areas, The," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 91-wp83, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Paul Krugman, 1998. "Space: The Final Frontier," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 161-174, Spring.
- Harold L. Wolman & Coit Cook Ford & Edward Hill, 1994. "Evaluating the Success of Urban Success Stories," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 31(6), pages 835-850, June.
- Barrow, Michael & MikeHall, 1994. "The impact of a large multinational organisation on a small local economy," Discussion Papers in Economics 04/94, Department of Economics, University of Sussex Business School.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Harold (Hal) Wolman & Eric Stokan & Howard Wial, 2015. "Manufacturing Job Loss in U.S. Deindustrialized Regionsâ€”Its Consequences and Implications for the Future," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 29(2), pages 102-112, May.
- Jörn Harfst & Jasmin Sandriester & Wolfgang Fischer, 2021. "Industrial Heritage Tourism as a Driver of Sustainable Development? A Case Study of Steirische Eisenstrasse (Austria)," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 13(7), pages 1-16, March.
- Yolanda Kodrzycki & Ana Patricia Munoz, 2013. "Economic distress and resurgence in U.S. central cities: concepts, causes, and policy levers," Public Policy Discussion Paper 13-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Diego Barrado-Timón & Antonio Palacios & Carmen Hidalgo-Giralt, 2020. "Medium and Small Cities, Culture and the Economy of Culture. A Review of the Approach to the Case of Spain in Light of International Scientific Scholarship," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(18), pages 1-28, September.
- Harfst Jörn & Pichler Patrick & Fischer Wolfgang, 2017. "Regional Ambassadors – An Innovative Element for the Development of Rural Areas?," European Countryside, Sciendo, vol. 9(2), pages 359-374, June.
- Markusen, Ann, 2007. "A Consumption Base Theory of Development: An Application to the Rural Cultural Economy," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(1), pages 1-15, April.
- John Cullinan & Eoghan Garvey & Micheal Keane, 2013. "Investigating the Determinants of Relative Economic Performance for Irish Towns: A Finite Mixture Modelling Approach," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(8), pages 1332-1347, September.
- Ravi Pendakur & Nathan Young, 2013. "Putting on the moves," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 29(28), pages 767-796.
- David Bell & Mark Jayne, 2009. "Small Cities? Towards a Research Agenda," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 683-699, September.
- Laura A. Reese & Minting Ye, 2011. "Policy Versus Place Luck: Achieving Local Economic Prosperity," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 25(3), pages 221-236, August.
- Tarsha EASON & Ahjond S. GARMESTANI, 2012. "Cross-Scale Dynamics Of A Regional Urban System Through Time," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 36, pages 55-77.
- Elizabeth Mack & Tony H. Grubesic & Erin Kessler, 2007. "Indices of Industrial Diversity and Regional Economic Composition," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 474-509, September.
- Laura REESE, 2012. "CREATIVE CLASS OR PROCREATIVE CLASS: IMPLICATIONS FOR LOCAL ECONoMIC DEVELOPMENT POLICY," Theoretical and Empirical Researches in Urban Management, Research Centre in Public Administration and Public Services, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 7(1), pages 5-26, February.
- Clerici Maria Antonietta, 2020. "Unity in Variety. Employment Dynamics and Specialisation Profiles of Medium-Sized Towns in the Asti-Rovigo Area, Italy (2001–2017)," Quaestiones Geographicae, Sciendo, vol. 39(4), pages 5-22, December.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- George A. Erickcek & Hannah McKinney, 2006. "â€œSmall Cities Blues:â€ Looking for Growth Factors in Small and Medium-Sized Cities," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 20(3), pages 232-258, August.
- Bumsoo Lee & Peter Gordon, 2007. "Urban Spatial Structure and Economic Growth in US Metropolitan Areas," Working Paper 8564, USC Lusk Center for Real Estate.
- Yingcheng Li & Kai Zhu, 2017. "Spatial dependence and heterogeneity in the location processes of new high-tech firms in Nanjing, China," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(3), pages 519-535, August.
- Yang, Yong, 2012. "Agglomeration density and tourism development in China: An empirical research based on dynamic panel data model," Tourism Management, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1347-1359.
- Suho Bae, 2009. "The responses of manufacturing businesses to geographical differences in electricity prices," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 43(2), pages 453-472, June.
- Duranton, Gilles & Puga, Diego, 2014.
"The Growth of Cities,"
Handbook of Economic Growth, in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 5, pages 781-853,
- Florencia Garcia-Vicente & Daniel Garcia-Swartz & Martin Campbell-Kelly, 2017. "Information technology clusters and regional growth in America, 1970–1980," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 48(4), pages 1021-1046, April.
- No, Angela, 2008. "Cities and Growth: Knowledge Spillovers in the Adoption of Advanced Manufacturing Technologies," The Canadian Economy in Transition 2008018e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis Division.
- Robert J. Stimson, 2014. "Proximity and endogenous regional development," Chapters, in: André Torre & Frédéric Wallet (ed.), Regional Development and Proximity Relations, chapter 1, pages 47-93, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Ksenia Gonchar & Philipp Marek, 2013.
"Natural-resource or market-seeking FDI in Russia? An empirical study of locational factors affecting the regional distribution of FDI entries,"
HSE Working papers
WP BRP 26/EC/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Gonchar, Ksenia & Marek, Philipp, 2013. "Natural-resource or Market-seeking FDI in Russia? An Empirical Study of Locational Factors Affecting the Regional Distribution of FDI Entries," IWH Discussion Papers 3/2013, Halle Institute for Economic Research (IWH).
- Kim, Ho Yeon, 2012. "Shrinking population and the urban hierarchy," IDE Discussion Papers 360, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Belal Fallah & Mark D. Partridge & Dan S. Rickman, 2014.
"Geography and High-Tech Employment Growth in US Counties,"
Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(4), pages 683-720.
- Belal Fallah & Mark D. Partridge & Dan S. Rickman, 2011. "Geography and High-Tech Employment Growth in U.S. Counties," Economics Working Paper Series 1102, Oklahoma State University, Department of Economics and Legal Studies in Business, revised Feb 2012.
- Fallah, Belal & Partridge, Mark, 2012. "Geography and high-tech employment growth in U.S. counties," MPRA Paper 38294, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Norman Sedgley & Bruce Elmslie, 2011. "Do We Still Need Cities? Evidence on Rates of Innovation from Count Data Models of Metropolitan Statistical Area Patents," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(1), pages 86-108, January.
- Martin Carree & Emilio Congregado & Antonio Golpe & André van Stel, 2015.
"Self-employment and job generation in metropolitan areas, 1969-2009,"
Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(3-4), pages 181-201, April.
- André van Stel & Martin Carree & Emilio Congregado & Antonio Golpe, 2013. "Self-employment and Job Generation in Metropolitan Areas, 1969-2009," Scales Research Reports H201306, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Pantzalis, Christos & Park, Jung Chul, 2014. "Too close for comfort? Geographic propinquity to political power and stock returns," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 57-78.
- Pe'er, Aviad & Vertinsky, Ilan, 2008. "Firm exits as a determinant of new entry: Is there evidence of local creative destruction?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 280-306, May.
- Canever, Mario Duarte & Carraro, Andre & Kohls, Volnei Krause & Teles, Morgan Yuri Oliveira, 2010.
"Entrepreneurship in the Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil: the determinants and consequences for the municipal development,"
Brazilian Journal of Rural Economy and Sociology (Revista de Economia e Sociologia Rural-RESR), Sociedade Brasileira de Economia e Sociologia Rural, vol. 48(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Mario Duarte Canever & Volnei Krause Kohls & Morgan Yuri Teles Machado & André Carraro, 2008. "Entrepreneurship in the Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil: the determinants and consequences for the municipal development," Anais do XXXVI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 36th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 200807091102140, ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³s-GraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Frank Lasch & Frank Robert & Frédéric Roy, 2013. "Regional determinants of ICT new firm formation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 671-686, April.
- Palmberg, Johanna, 2012. "Spatial Concentration in the Financial Industry," Ratio Working Papers 188, The Ratio Institute.
- Aviad Pe'er & Ilan Vertinsky & Thomas Keil, 2016. "Growth and survival: The moderating effects of local agglomeration and local market structure," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 541-564, March.
More about this item
Keywordseconomic; development; growth; factors; erickcek; mckinney; incentives; local; regional; small; medium; cities;
All these keywords.
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upj:weupjo:04-100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/upjohus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/upjohus.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.