Monetary policy in the Euro area: Lessons from 5 years of ECB and implications for Turkey
We examine monetary policy in the Euro area from both theoretical and empirical perspectives. We discuss what theory tells us the strategy of Central banks should be and contrasts it with the one employed by the ECB. We review accomplishments (and failures) of monetary policy in the Euro area and suggest changes that would increase the correlation between words and actions; streamline the understanding that markets have of the policy process; and anchor expectation formation more strongly. We examine the transmission of monetary policy shocks in the Euro area and in some potential member countries and try to infer the likely effects occurring when Turkey joins the EU first and the Euro area later. Much of the analysis here warns against having too high expectations of the economic gains that membership to the EU and Euro club will produce.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederic S Mishkin, 2004. "Can Central Bank Transparency Go Too Far?," RBA Annual Conference Volume,in: Christopher Kent & Simon Guttmann (ed.), The Future of Inflation Targeting Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Mackowiak, Bartosz, 2006. "What does the Bank of Japan do to East Asia?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 253-270, September.
- William Poole, 2001. "Central bank transparency: why and how?," Speech 51, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Marek Jarocinski, 2010.
"Responses to monetary policy shocks in the east and the west of Europe: a comparison,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(5), pages 833-868.
- Marek Jarocinski, 2004. "Responses to Monetary Policy Shocks in the East and the West of Europe: A Comparison," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0287, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Jarociński, Marek, 2008. "Responses to monetary policy shocks in the east and the west of Europe: a comparison," Working Paper Series 970, European Central Bank.
- Marek Jarocinski, 2006. "Responses to Monetary Policy Shocks in the East and the West of Europe: A Comparison," Working Papers 124, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Otmar Issing, 2001. "The EURO Area and the single monetary policy," Working Papers 44, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Issing, Otmar, 2001. "The Euro Area and the Single Monetary Policy," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 277-288, October.
- David-Jan Jansen & Jakob de Haan, 2006.
"Look who's talking: ECB communication during the first years of EMU,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(3), pages 219-228.
- David-Jan Jansen & Jakob de Haan, 2004. "Look Who's Talking: ECB communication during the first years of EMU," DNB Working Papers 007, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Fabio Canova & Matteo Ciccarelli, 2002.
"Panel Index Var Models: Specification, Estimation, Testing And Leading Indicators,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2002-21, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Canova, Fabio & Ciccarelli, Matteo, 2003. "Panel Index VAR Models: Specification, Estimation, Testing and Leading Indicators," CEPR Discussion Papers 4033, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bjørn-Roger Wilhelmsen & Andrea Zaghini, 2011.
"Monetary policy predictability in the euro area: an international comparison,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(20), pages 2533-2544.
- Zaghini, Andrea & Wilhelmsen, Björn-Roger, 2005. "Monetary policy predictability in the euro area: an international comparison," Working Paper Series 504, European Central Bank.
- Bjørn-Roger Wilhelmsen & Andrea Zaghini, 2005. "Monetary policy predictability in the euro area: An international comparison," Working Paper 2005/7, Norges Bank.
- Goodhart, Charles & Pappa, Evi, 2003.
"The transition from national currencies to the euro,"
Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 83-88, April.
- Goodhart, Charles & Pappa, Evi, 2003. "The transition from national currencies to the Euro," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 511, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Orphanides, Athanasios, 2004.
"Monetary Policy Rules, Macroeconomic Stability, and Inflation: A View from the Trenches,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(2), pages 151-175, April.
- Athanasios Orphanides, 2001. "Monetary policy rules, macroeconomic stability and inflation: a view from the trenches," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-62, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Orphanides, Athanasios, 2001. "Monetary policy rules, macroeconomic stability and inflation: a view from the trenches," Working Paper Series 0115, European Central Bank.
- Georgy Ganev & Krisztina Molnar & Krzysztof Rybinski & Przemyslaw Wozniak, 2002. "Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy in Centraland Eastern Europe," CASE Network Reports 0052, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Gert Peersman, 2004. "The Transmission of Monetary Policy in the Euro Area: Are the Effects Different Across Countries?," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(3), pages 285-308, July.
- Luca Benati, 2003.
"Evolving Post-World War II U.K. Economic Performance,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2003
171, Society for Computational Economics.
- Luca Benati, 2004. "Evolving post-World War II UK economic performance," Bank of England working papers 232, Bank of England.
- Gulbin Sahinbeyoglu, 2001. "Monetary Transmission Mechanism : A View From A High Inflationary Environment," Discussion Papers 0101, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Mojon, Benoît & Kashyap, Anil K. & Angeloni, Ignazio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 2002. "Monetary Transmission in the Euro Area : Where Do We Stand?," Working Paper Series 0114, European Central Bank.
- William Poole, 1999. "Communicating the stance of monetary policy," Speech 73, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Murray Sherwin, 1999. "Inflation targeting: 10 years on," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 62, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upf:upfgen:922. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.