On optimal location with treshold requirements
The optimal location of services is one of the most important factors that affects service quality in terms of consumer access. On the other hand, services in general need to have a minimum catchment area so as to be efficient. In this paper a model is presented that locates the maximum number of services that can coexist in a given region without having losses, taking into account that they need a minimum catchment area to exist. The objective is to minimize average distance to the population. The formulation presented belongs to the class of discrete P--median--like models. A tabu heuristic method is presented to solve the problem. Finally, the model is applied to the location of pharmacies in a rural region of Spain.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Serra & Samuel Ratick & Charles Revelle, 1994.
"The maximum capture problem with uncertainty,"
Economics Working Papers
74, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- P V Balakrishnan & A Desai & J E Storbeck, 1994. "Efficiency evaluation of retail outlet networks," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 21(4), pages 477-488, July.
- P V Balakrishnan & J E Storbeck, 1991. "McTHRESH: modeling maximum coverage with threshold constraints," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 18(4), pages 459-472, July.
- Cornuejols, G. & Sridharan, R. & Thizy, J. M., 1991. "A comparison of heuristics and relaxations for the capacitated plant location problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 280-297, February.
- J R Current & J E Storbeck, 1988. "Capacitated covering models," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 15(2), pages 153-163, March.
- ReVelle, Charles, 1993. "Facility siting and integer-friendly programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 147-158, March.
- P J Densham & G Rushton, 1992. "Strategies for solving large location-allocation problems by heuristic methods," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 24(2), pages 289-304, February.
- Hasan Pirkul & David A. Schilling, 1991. "The Maximal Covering Location Problem with Capacities on Total Workload," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(2), pages 233-248, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upf:upfgen:220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.