On optimal location with treshold requirements
The optimal location of services is one of the most important factors that affects service quality in terms of consumer access. On the other hand, services in general need to have a minimum catchment area so as to be efficient. In this paper a model is presented that locates the maximum number of services that can coexist in a given region without having losses, taking into account that they need a minimum catchment area to exist. The objective is to minimize average distance to the population. The formulation presented belongs to the class of discrete P--median--like models. A tabu heuristic method is presented to solve the problem. Finally, the model is applied to the location of pharmacies in a rural region of Spain.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D Serra & S Ratick & C ReVelle, 1996.
"The Maximum Capture Problem with Uncertainty,"
Environment and Planning B,
, vol. 23(1), pages 49-59, February.
- Cornuejols, G. & Sridharan, R. & Thizy, J. M., 1991. "A comparison of heuristics and relaxations for the capacitated plant location problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 280-297, February.
- ReVelle, Charles, 1993. "Facility siting and integer-friendly programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 147-158, March.
- P V Balakrishnan & A Desai & J E Storbeck, 1994. "Efficiency evaluation of retail outlet networks," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 21(4), pages 477-488, July.
- J R Current & J E Storbeck, 1988. "Capacitated covering models," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 15(2), pages 153-163, March.
- P J Densham & G Rushton, 1992. "Strategies for solving large location-allocation problems by heuristic methods," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 24(2), pages 289-304, February.
- P V Balakrishnan & J E Storbeck, 1991. "McTHRESH: modeling maximum coverage with threshold constraints," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 18(4), pages 459-472, July.
- Hasan Pirkul & David A. Schilling, 1991. "The Maximal Covering Location Problem with Capacities on Total Workload," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(2), pages 233-248, February.
- P V Balakrishnan & A Desai & J E Storbeck, 1994. "Efficiency Evaluation of Retail Outlet Networks," Environment and Planning B, , vol. 21(4), pages 477-488, August.
- J R Current & J E Storbeck, 1988. "Capacitated Covering Models," Environment and Planning B, , vol. 15(2), pages 153-163, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upf:upfses:220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.