Private Donations for International Development
Charitable donations by private individuals and firms can help fund the Millennium Development Goals. What are the prospects for increasing donations for international development, whether from small-scale donors, the super-rich (as in the recent gifts by Bill Gates and Ted Turner), or the corporate sector? The Paper starts by reviewing how large are the sums currently given in OECD countries (including gifts of time) and the problems for development in competing with domestic causes. It then looks at possibilities for the future, including tax-deductions, the new ‘global funds’, corporate social responsibility and ‘cause-related marketing’, the use of the Internet, and long-term donor education.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki|
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth E. Boulding, 1962. "Notes on a Theory of Philanthropy," NBER Chapters,in: Philanthropy and Public Policy, pages 57-72 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cathy Pharoah & Sarah Tanner, 1997. "Trends in charitable giving," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 18(4), pages 427-444, January.
- Addison, Tony & Chowdhury, Abdur R., 2003. "A Global Lottery and a Global Premium Bond," WIDER Working Paper Series 080, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Clotfelter, Charles T., 1997. "The Economics of Giving," Working Papers 97-19, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Tony Atkinson, 2002. "Top Incomes in the United Kingdom Over the Twentieth Century," Economics Series Working Papers 2002-W43, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ida McDonnell & Henri-Bernard Solignac Lecomte & Liam Wegimont, 2003. "Public Opinion Research, Global Education and Development Co-operation Reform: In Search of a Virtuous Circle," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 222, OECD Publishing.