Private Donations for International Development
Charitable donations by private individuals and firms can help fund the Millennium Development Goals. What are the prospects for increasing donations for international development, whether from small-scale donors, the super-rich (as in the recent gifts by Bill Gates and Ted Turner), or the corporate sector? The Paper starts by reviewing how large are the sums currently given in OECD countries (including gifts of time) and the problems for development in competing with domestic causes. It then looks at possibilities for the future, including tax-deductions, the new ‘global funds’, corporate social responsibility and ‘cause-related marketing’, the use of the Internet, and long-term donor education.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth E. Boulding, 1962. "Notes on a Theory of Philanthropy," NBER Chapters, in: Philanthropy and Public Policy, pages 57-72 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Piketty & Emmanuel Saez, 2003. "Income Inequality In The United States, 1913-1998," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 1-39, February.
- Cathy Pharoah & Sarah Tanner, 1997. "Trends in charitable giving," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 18(4), pages 427-444, January.
- Tony Atkinson, 2002. "Top Incomes in the United Kingdom Over the Twentieth Century," Economics Series Working Papers 2002-W43, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ida McDonnell & Henri-Bernard Solignac Lecomte & Liam Wegimont, 2003. "Public Opinion Research, Global Education and Development Co-operation Reform: In Search of a Virtuous Circle," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 222, OECD Publishing.
- Clotfelter, Charles T., 1997. "The Economics of Giving," Working Papers 97-19, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Addison, Tony & Chowdhury, Abdur R., 2003. "A Global Lottery and a Global Premium Bond," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:dp2003-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.