Determinants of the rural nonfarm economy in Tajikistan
This paper explores determinants of participation, intensity and the magnitude of the rural nonfarm economy (RNFE) in Tajikistan. Conducting analysis at the district level, in addition to traditional individual and household levels, helps to test the impact of institutional determinants of the RNFE invariant at the micro level. We have found that rural residents in Tajikistan are mostly pushed into nonfarm activities in areas with scarce land resources of poor quality. Moreover, market imperfections in the agricultural sector are also found to induce participation and intensity of the rural nonfarm activities. While nonfarm activities are found to be mostly driven by "push" factors, poor education and the access to infrastructure are found to be important barriers constraining the poor from participation in nonfarm activities.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Lanjouw & Rinku Murgai, 2009.
"Poverty decline, agricultural wages, and nonfarm employment in rural India: 1983-2004,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(2), pages 243-263, 03.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Murgai, Rinku, 2009. "Poverty decline, agricultural wages, and non-farm employment in rural India : 1983-2004," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4858, The World Bank.
- Jonasson, Erik & Helfand, Steven M., 2010. "How Important are Locational Characteristics for Rural Non-agricultural Employment? Lessons from Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 727-741, May.
- Lerman, Zvi, 2008. "Tajikistan: An Overview of Land and Farm Structure Reforms," Discussion Papers 6050, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Benjamin Davis & Paul Winters & Gero Carletto & Katia Covarrubias & Esteban Quinones & Alberto Zezza & Kostas Stamoulis & Genny Bonomi & Stefania DiGiuseppe, 2007.
"Rural Income Generating Activities; A Cross Country Comparison,"
07-16, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Davis, Benjamin & Covarrubias, Katia & Stamoulis, Kostas G. & Winters, Paul C. & Carletto, Calogero & Quinones, Esteban & Zezza, Alberto & Di Giuseppe, Stefania, 2007. "Rural Income Generating Activities: A Cross Country Comparison," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7913, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ivaschenko, Oleksiy & Mete, Cem, 2008. "Asset-Based Poverty in Rural Tajikistan: Who Climbs out and Who Falls in?," Working Paper Series RP2008/26, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Reardon, Thomas & Berdegue, Julio & Escobar, German, 2001. "Rural Nonfarm Employment and Incomes in Latin America: Overview and Policy Implications," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 395-409, March.
- Frank Ellis, 1998. "Household strategies and rural livelihood diversification," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 1-38.
- Escobal, Javier, 2001. "The Determinants of Nonfarm Income Diversification in Rural Peru," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 497-508, March.
- Marrit van den Berg & Girma Earo Kumbi, 2006. "Poverty and the rural nonfarm economy in Oromia, Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(s3), pages 469-475, November.
- Mark Ottoni Wilhelm, 2008. "Practical Considerations for Choosing Between Tobit and SCLS or CLAD Estimators for Censored Regression Models with an Application to Charitable Giving," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(4), pages 559-582, 08.
- Gemechu Ayana Aga & Christian Eigen-Zucchi & Sonia Plaza & Ani Rudra Silwal, 2013. "Migration and Development Brief, No. 20," World Bank Other Operational Studies 17020, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2012080. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.